Kouvola is both a city and a municipality which has its location in the southeastern parts of the country of Finland, conveniently tucked about 134 kilometers away from the capital Helsinki. The town used to be a major hub for road transport.
It’s also one of the major ports of the country so transporting a vehicle to it is fairly straightforward and you might want to take advantage of it if you live here or you plan on moving from the USA.
In any case, it is important that you rely on a reputable international shipping agency to guide you through the process. This is going to ensure a hassle-free transportation of your vehicle and proper compliance with the laws and regulations set forth by the Customs Department of both countries.
Most common shipping methods.
Discussing the shipping methods with the A1 Auto Transport is going to enable us to provide you with the most convenient one to go for. There are two ways for you to go with – container shipping and RORO shipping.
- RORO: This particular solution is going to require you to drive your vehicle on its own wheels on a ramp on the ship where it’s going to be secured for the transport. There are some restrictions that you’d have to abide by – your car has to be completely emptied and it has to contain only the car jacks, floor mats and a spare tire.
- Container Shipping: If you are planning to relocate other personal belongings or your car is expensive or a collectible, this is without a doubt the way to go. You can choose between a 20ft and 40ft enclosed private container for the journey and you could share it with someone else to split the cost in two.
You have to be present to pick up your vehicle or you might want to sign a Power of Attorney for your shipping agent to pick it for you.
Requirements before the shipping.
There is a wide range of documents that have to be filled up. We are going to make sure that we do everything we can to help you out but you’d still need to provide:
- Title free of lines.
- Bill of lading.
- Passport of owner and driver’s license.
- Social Security Card.
- Spare keys.
- Insurance policy as well as temporary Finnish Insurance.
- Compliance with the EU-emission standards.
There are tax exemptions for some situations and if you are eligible for any one of them we’ll make sure to take advantage of them. Besides from VIPs and diplomats, if you’ve owned your car for at least 6 months prior to the shipping you are also allowed to import it for free. However, if it exceeds a particular price range you’d have to pay for the excise taxes and the import duties. You would also need EU compliance and failing to abide by it is going to result in necessary modifications. For any further information, you can contact the Embassy of Finland in Washington, DC or talk with the A1 Auto Transport Company right away.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.