Kokopo is the capital city of the East New Britain in the country of Papua New Guinea. If you intend moving to this panoramic city in the island nation, you are sure to miss having your own vehicle, if you don’t import it.
It is very important that you abide by the legal regulations and requirements which are set forth by the government of the country. It is advisable that you take the assistance of a professional shipping service such as the A1 Auto Transport. We are happy to help you out and we take pride in having more than 25 years of expertise in shipping. There are a few ecological regulations that you would need to take into account when shipping to Papua New Guinea.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Custom duties exemptions.
There is a provision under Papua New Guinea Customs Department, which is going to allow you to import vehicle free of duties if you meet the requirements which include:
- You intend on staying in the country for 12 months after the import.
- You owned and also used the car in the US for at least 12 months prior to the import.
- You can produce proof of ownership by submitting the necessary documents.
- The inspections can confirm that you’ve used the vehicle and that it has cleared the tests for roadworthiness.
Regardless of whether you get the permit for a duty-free import, you would still need to provide the following documents as well:
- Certificate of registration.
- Title deed and driver’s license.
Costs associated with the shipping.
The shipping of the vehicle can cost you anywhere between $2,600 and $5,200 based on the distance of the course. Papua New Guinea is an island and there are only a few limited routes that could be taken into account. What is more, you need to take into account the associated costs with the shipping. They might actually range from 40% to about 110% and there is an additional 10% GST when you are given the clearance. In addition, you can expect to pay more because of safety inspections, handling fees and whatnot.
When it comes to the shipping methods, you have two clear choices in front of you:
- RORO Shipping. This particular method is going to require you to drive the vehicle on its wheels onto a specifically designed shipping deck where it’s going to be strapped and shipped as is. You can’t ship any personal belongings with it and you have to empty it out entirely.
- Container shipping. Even though it’s more expensive, you can expect to ship your vehicle within an enclosed container alongside all sorts of personal belongings and other items of interest. However, you need to ensure that those items are actually allowed in the country.
Make sure that you check with the Embassy of Papua New Guinea for further information.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?