The largest city in the capital town of Jamaica, Kingston is on island’s southeastern coast and boasts of a natural harbor as well. Kingston Port the biggest port and is the natural choice for auto shipping. With temperate climate and plenty of employment opportunities, there are many people that come and settle down on a temporary or permanent basis. And if you are one of those, you might need to have your personal vehicle with you.
Shipping eligibility and restrictions
There are some necessary documents that will be needed before you can import your vehicle to Kingston. These include:
- License for importing vehicles
- Vehicle title
- Sales bill
- Tax compliance certification
The Jamaica Customs Department has certain inherent regulations and rules when it comes to shipping vehicles to Kingston. You can talk with your shipping service to understand what is needed before shipping your car here. You need to pay a significant tax amount for vehicle at the Customs upon arrival. The shipping company can negotiate this on your behalf, but this can go as high as 67% of vehicle value. The bigger your car more will be the associated taxes. There are some restrictions on vehicle imports including:
- You cannot import a vehicle that is less than 4 year old
- Non-resident Jamaicans may bring two vehicles with them within 3 year period.
- You will need to submit relevant paperwork, the U.S driver’s license remains valid upon arrival.
- S driving license remains valid for only 1 year and then you need to apply for the local Jamaican license.
- Vehicle needs Jamaican auto insurance. We can take care of this. Remember, the Customs will not let you drive the vehicle until you can show the insurance proof from any Jamaican company.
There are different methods of shipping, namely RORO and container shipping which you can discuss with the shipping company and select the right method based on requirement and price. Besides this, you will need Tax registration number for importing your vehicle here. For this, you will need to apply to the Tax Administration Jamaica. It is best to get the import number before you ship your vehicle from USA. The small island nation is notorious for high-crime rate. The good news is that the major cities are quite safe as well as extremely tourist friendly.
Thus, if you are here on a temporary basis restrict your visit to these areas only. If you want to sell your vehicle here, you will have to wait. According to the law, you can only sell imported vehicles after one year period. In case your car sustains damage directly, after or during shipping then to sell, you will have to wait for a minimum of 3 years. Contact the Jamaican Embassy in US to get more details on the import laws and regulations.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?