Kecskemet is a town located in the central parts of Hungary. It is by far the 8th largest city in the country and it is approximately 86 kilometers away from the capital city of Budapest. If you want to relocate to the city, you might want to have your vehicle with you in order to ensure that you can enjoy the freedom of traveling at your own convenience.
However, in order to have the process simplified it might be helpful to have a Hungarian Residence Permit or if the vehicle that you want to import is owned by someone who has. It could significantly accelerate the process. However, the vehicles manufactured in the US are going to have to get modified.
Furthermore, it is always advantageous to get help from a reputable shipping agency such as the A1 Auto Transport. We have over 20 years of international shipping experience and we are certainly going to help you get through the hassle conveniently. Some of the regulations that you might want to abide by include:
- Your car has to be less than 4 years of age.
- If you have a catalytic converter you can get the vehicle imported duty-free but you need to have a valid residence permit.
- If your vehicle is older than 4 years you are going to have to pass an emission and environmental test. If you fail to pass you would have to get the car modified.
- You can apply for a local registration number only after you’ve paid all of the pending duties and taxes.
As it is with every international shipping process, you would have to provide a wide range of documents in order to get through the process effectively. You would have to provide them to the U.S. Customs and by Hungarian Customs. The documents include:
- Signed vehicle invoice.
- Proof of ID – Work or residence permit or a passport.
- Original papers of registration as well as title deed of the vehicle.
- Insurance to cover the shipping services.
- Guarantee issued by the bank (shipping agency is going to help you get it).
- Driver’s license from the US.
You will also have to let the U.S. Customs and Border Protection know about your intent to export the vehicle from the USA. As the country of Hungary is landlocked, your vehicle is going to be transported to the country of Croatia and transported by land to Hungary. There are border checks that will be done, and that’s why you must have copies of the aforementioned documents kept in the vehicle.
If you want to ensure a smooth import, you have to adhere to all of the requirements. You will have the option to choose between container shipping and RORO. Furthermore, if you have any need for other information, you can contact the Embassy of Hungary in Washington, DC.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.