Situated in Northern area of Nigeria, Kano is the capital of the Kano state, and is the second largest city after Lagos. It is the commercial and financial center of Nigeria. Despite the change towards modernity and capitalization, Nigeria as a whole is embroiled in religious and political tensions making it difficult to progress at a rate that people want. Though it has extensive roads, the condition of the roads can be improved. Public transport is available but usually it is railways and water transportation, making personal vehicles a sought after priority. Whether you are here on an extended trip or have permanent residency, having your personal vehicle is an advantage.
Importing vehicles to Kano.
Though plenty of documentations will be needed, the process of importing your vehicle from USA to Nigeria is simple. Lagos is the port of entry and then the vehicle will be driven down to Kano. Working with international auto shipping services such as our A1 Auto Transports can be advantageous. Not only have we shipping hundreds of vehicles to cities in Nigeria but understand the customs and law to make sure your car is delivered on time. However, to start the process, we will need these documents:
- Car title.
- Ownership proof/passport.
- Insurance documents.
- Chassis number, model and manufacturer details.
- Emission checks and road worthiness certificate.
- Bill of Lading.
- No liens on the vehicle.
However, it is essential to know that if your vehicle is 8 years or older, Nigerian law prevents entry to old cars. Thus, only if the car or vehicle is less than 8 years old, shipping process can be executed.
Shipping and delivery of vehicles.
Although Kano is a landlocked city but after the custom duty at Nigeria Customs Service and other formalities are completed in Lagos, it can be driven down to Kano city. However, there are two methods that are commonly used for transporting or shipping vehicles. These are:
- 20 feet/40 feet enclosed container: Your vehicle is enclosed along with other household goods or car accessories within an enclosed container and sealed. It is harnessed for safety and prevents damage during the voyage. It is more expensive to ship your vehicle by enclosed container but safer.
- Roll-On/Roll-Off: This is the cheaper method of shipping your car or vehicle. The car is driven over a ramp and secured within the ship along with other vehicles. However, for security reasons, the car needs to be stripped off everything except floor mats, spare tire and jack. Shipping requirements including removing all air conditioning gas and ensuring that the car is cleaned so that there is no quarantine at the Lagos port.
To know more about the travel and driving details or about transporting your vehicle, check Embassy of Nigeria.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.