The largest city and capital of Uganda, Kampala is the center of trade, commerce and culture in the country. With plenty of employment opportunities, better education and allure of coming back to the home country, there has been a rise in foreigners and returning citizens staying in Kampala for an extended period. Apart from that it is more cost effective to import a vehicle than buy it in Uganda.
That is one of the reasons that most of the vehicles plying in the city are imported. That is why the regulations on vehicle import are lax and few restrictions are placed. Thus, when you are importing your vehicle from USA, it won’t be difficult as adherence to regulations and documentation needs to be completed. Working with A1 Auto Transport service makes it easy.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Specific guidelines for vehicle import.
However, irrespective of the fact that the regulations are few, they still need to be adhered to as per the laws of Uganda dealing with import of vehicles. Some of the key features include:
- No age limit on the vehicles.
- Both old and new cars can be imported.
- Left and right-hand drive vehicles allowed.
- Used vehicle has to clear roadworthiness and emission tests.
Though most of the vehicles that are commercially available are imported from Japan, but if you are looking to import your vehicle from USA, the regulations remain the same. It is important to get the inspection and certification for Roadworthiness and emissions completed in USA, before you ship out the vehicle from there.
The ‘Roadworthiness’ tests ensure that the odometer readings are correct and the emissions are in synch with the regulations. These inspections and tests need to be done in USA before you ship out the vehicle. The certificates need to be attached with the documents that need to be submitted, to the Uganda Revenue Authority along with these important documents:
- Logbook of the vehicle.
- Written inventory.
- Original passport/driving license- proof of ownership.
- Bill of car purchase.
- Insurance of car.
Tax and duties.
The import duties are set as per the General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs (GATT) and the Ugandan government has set the taxes as 17% VAT, 15% of import duty, 2% import communication and the 6% withholding tax and 10% excise tax. That is why it is important to add in the cost when the total cost is being calculated.
As Uganda is a landlocked country, you will need to reach the Port of Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania or the Port of Mombasa in Kenya to collect the vehicle and arrange for further transportation to Kampala. However, when you work with an international shipping service like A1 Auto Transport, we take care of the international logistics. Whether it is shipping the vehicle from US or land transporting t to Uganda from Tanzania or Kenya, we do it with ease as we have a strong network of shipping agents all over the world.
You can call us or contact the Embassy of Uganda to know more about the current laws and regulations.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?