Kalamaria is one of the largest boroughs in the Thessaloniki Urban Area, situated nearly 4 miles from the city of Thessaloniki. A melting pot of ancient history, culture and modern skyscrapers, it is one of the favored and tourist friendly cities in Greece.
If you plan on moving and staying in Kalamaria, it is important to import a vehicle when you move. However, as per the requirements, you have the option of choosing temporary and permanent import permits. You are allowed to import the vehicle for 6 months for free, but you are not allowed to sell that vehicle and nobody apart from you or your authorized family members can drive the vehicle.
It is important to show proof of insurance, registration documents, license plate tags as proof of purchase. However, if the vehicle’s registration and license expire while in Kalamaria, you will need to contact U.S Customs for license plate and temporary registration. Greece is less expensive to import your vehicle to and that is why most of the auto shipments cost around $1,300 to $3,700 through it depends upon the different type of vehicles.
If you are permanently moving to Greece, you will need to have your vehicle with you to ensure that you can traverse the city limits with ease while traversing the rest of the country is a breeze. If you are bringing the vehicle with you as part of the household goods, you are allowed to bring it in free, without any import taxes. However, you would need to get the import permit from the Embassy of Greece in USA, before you ship it here.
However, this is an option only for those who are of Greek descent or are married to a citizen of Greece. It is also allowed for someone who has a work permit for employment in Greece. You will need to have been out of Greece for at least 24 months to become eligible for tax-free status.
To start with, if you want to import your vehicle tax-free, it is important to send in the vehicle description to the Greek Consulate. Additionally, you need to prove that the vehicle was purchased 6 months before the vehicle is imported. All imported vehicles have to pay VAT, license plate fee, and registration fee.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Documentation For Auto Import.
With plenty of documentation required for import, it is essential that you submit all of these documents to U.S Customs and Greek Customs Authority. Some of these include:
- W2 forms.
- Proof of employment.
- All valid and expired passports of you and your family.
- Utility bills.
- Work permit/residency permit.
- Driving license.
- Vehicle insurance proof.
- Title deed and registration.
Inspections and tax ID.
It is essential to have your AFM card before you will be allowed to pick your car from the Greece Customs Authority. This is an important aspect of opening bank accounts, getting a license or paying taxes, so it is best to apply for it early on.
Additionally, your imported vehicle will need to be checked for overall condition, emissions, and noise inspections. Based on the temporary or permanent official registration numbers and circulation license that were assigned in USA, the vehicles will need to show it on entering Greece. If the vehicle is on a temporary permit, you need to have valid car insurance. After the vehicle clears these inspections, you can file for registration.
Methods of vehicle shipment from USA.
Although sea-based freight cargo is the most affordable option, there are two common methods that are used for ferrying your vehicle from USA to Greece. These are:
- Roll-on/Roll-Off: Your vehicle is driven aboard and harnessed in place. As you only pay for the parking bay space, this is the most affordable option to ship overseas. The vehicle has to be completely empty of all personal goods, fuel and air conditioning gas during transit. It is driven on and from the ship using its own set of wheels. To ensure that it is not quarantined, steam-clean the interiors.
- Enclosed container shipping: This is a more exclusive method but adds a layer of exclusivity to the vehicle. Using this method, you can ship your vehicle along with other personal goods within a 20 feet or 40 feet container.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory