The third largest city, Jinja in Uganda is situated about 50 miles from the capital city of Kampala. It is located at the shore of Lake Victoria, which is the source of the beautiful White Nile. With better development and urbanization, most people in the city need a vehicle, and find it cheaper to buy an imported vehicle than buying it in Uganda. With a constant influx of vehicles in the country, there are little restrictions placed on auto imports.
Thus, if you are moving to Jinja, it helps to have your own vehicle imported from USA. Though there is no age limit on imported vehicle, it is important that the vehicle adheres to the emission standards and can run with ease on the roads.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Motor vehicle regulations.
Apart from flexible import rules, the vehicle that you import can be new or old and can be left hand driven and right hand driven as the Uganda Custom laws allow for both side driven vehicles. Additionally, there are some regulations that have to be followed:
- Road worthiness inspection has to be followed and the certificate issued from USA.
- Complete inspection of the vehicle.
- Odometer proof of the accurate reading.
- Emission test certificate.
You will need these certificates from USA as pre-shipping inspections, before the vehicle is shipped out from the U.S port.
Documentation, Tariff and import duties.
The duty imposed on vehicles being imported is fixed by the General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs (GATT). The value of the vehicle, freight and insurance charges are calculated and then the 15% import duty is levied. Additionally, there is a 17% VAT, 6% withholding charges and 2% and there is an excise duty of 10% on luxury vehicles.
As with any import, it has to be verified and ensured that it is legal. That is why there are a host of documents that have to be submitted at the U.S Customs and at the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA). When you work with A1 Auto Transport service, we take care of the details. However, we will need the listed documents so that they can be submitted as needed:
- Shipping permissions, including Bill of Lading.
- 3 copies of inventory of the shipment.
- Original passport of the owner.
- Purchase invoice of the vehicle.
- Car logbook.
- Car insurance.
- Title deed.
- Registration documents.
Your vehicle will be shipped from the domestic U.S port to the port of Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania or the Port of Mombasa in Kenya, as Uganda is a landlocked country. However, A1 Auto Transport Company will take care of all requirements and ensue that your vehicle is transported by land to Jinja. To know more about the import requirements, please contact the Embassy of Uganda.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?