Jerusalem is one of the oldest cities in the entire world. Considered a holy city several religions including Christianity, Judaism and Islam. While both Israel and Palestine state that the city is their capital, Israel has its government seat in the city. The government in Israel has been working to supply more employment to the region in recent years and offers financial subsidies for new business to be created in the area for residents. The city sees a steady stream of revenue each year from tourists. Jerusalem is also home to many universities and colleges including the Hebrew University of Jerusalem that has been listed as top 100 school in the world. Relocating to the city can be an exciting as well as a very daunting time due to travel plans, location of a new residence and customs regulations. When you need to have your car shipped to Jerusalem you will need to strictly follow the laws set by U.S. Customs as well as Israeli rules and regulations. You will also have to hire a professional automobile transport company to handle the car shipment for you.
Israeli Automobile Import Regulations.
Anytime that you ship a car internationally from the United States you will need to supply customs with specific paperwork in order to do so. Some of the paperwork you will be required to present to Israeli Customs will be:
- Israeli Driver’s License.
- Bill of Sale or Commercial Invoice for automobile.
- Import License.
- Bill of Lading (Shipping Bill).
- Vehicle Registration from the United States (or country the car originates from).
- Ministry of Transportation letter with allowance for the car to be imported.
For further information on documents that you will need during importation of a motor vehicle you can contact the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC.
While there are no import duties required when importing a car into Israel from the United States you will still have to pay all shipping fees and associated taxes. You will also have to pay a Value Added Tax (VAT) based on the total vehicle value. If you will not be staying in Israel for more than six months you won’t need to register the car in Jerusalem. If you are staying longer than six months however, you will need to complete automobile registration in the city and will have to pay automobile taxes. Registration can be done anytime within the first six month time period. If you’re in Jerusalem for school you will not have to register the car during the time that you are enrolled as a student.
Overseas Motor Vehicle Shipping Cost.
The total cost to ship a motor vehicle overseas will vary based on the location and distance between shipping ports, the weight of the vehicle and the type of overseas transport that is used for shipment.
Types of Overseas Transport.
When shipping a car to Jerusalem from the United States, there are three ways that you may be able to choose from when shipping the car. Those ways are:
- Ro-Ro Shipping- The simplest as well as most affordable way to have a motor vehicle shipped overseas is with Ro-Ro shipping. This type of shipping is suitable for most automobiles, trucks, SUV’s and other wheeled vehicles. Vehicles are easily rolled onto the ship, transported overseas and then rolled off the ship when they reach the port in Israel.
- Container Shipping- Container shipping is the perfect way to relocate everything all at one time. When you need to have a motor vehicle as well as personal items shipped to move overseas, using a large shipping container makes this very simple to do as everything can be loaded inside of the container for shipment. There will be a fee for the container, thus it can generally cost a little more than Ro-Ro shipping, but is well worth it when you need to relocate an entire household all at one time.
- Air Cargo Shipping- Air cargo shipping is not used very often and is generally for use with extremely valuable automobiles like luxury, exotic or classic cars. Shipping by air is the fastest way to have a car delivered but it is also the most expensive route to take when shipping overseas.
Automobile Transport Company.
Hiring an automobile transport company will make the entire overseas automobile shipping process be seamlessly smooth for you. The agent that you will speak to will gather some information like your driver’s license and social security number as well as information about your automobile for processing the shipping request. Any information you will need prior to shipping will be explained in full to you when you speak to them. The agent will let you know how you need to prepare the car for shipping including cleaning the car, modifying it if necessary to meet standards in Israel, paperwork that will need turned in and fees that will need paid prior to the date of shipment. If you will need pick-up or delivery to or from the sea ports, the agent will also be able to take care of that and will include it in the total cost of shipping the car to Jerusalem.
For more information on overseas motor vehicle shipping you can find excellent information with the Federal Maritime Convention.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.