Being the 12th biggest city in Sri Lanka, Jaffna is the capital of the Northern Province of the country. It is also the administrative center of the Jaffna District. If you have an idea of working or studying there, or you are a returning citizen, you’d have to consider getting your vehicle shipped.
You might want to conduct a research in order to familiarize yourself with the rules and the regulations which govern the procedures for transporting a vehicle into the country. On the other hand, you can hire a professional agency like the A1 Auto Transport in order for them to handle this complicated process themselves.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The most common case involves non-residential Sri Lankan wanting to ship a car for personal use. If you have any troubles with documents required or with filling out the paperwork, contacting A1 Auto Transport is definitely going to help. In any case, the main requirements of Sri Lanka Customs Department that you should be aware of include:
- Resident Sri Lanka visa for at least 6 months.
- Vehicle is used only by owner or family.
- Vehicles which are less than three and a half years old.
- Right-handed steering wheels.
- Only one vehicle per person every five years is allowed.
- There is a causality link between the relocation of the owner and the import of the car.
You’d have to focus on providing your passport and copy, driver’s license, visa details and the registration of the car. You are also going to have to present proof of residence. You’d have to exhibit the departure, the arrival and the staying reasons. The Sri Lankan Embassy is going to give you more thorough information.
When it comes to shipping personal vehicles, the overly preferred methods are two:
- RO/RO (Roll-on/Roll-off). This one is going to require you or your agent to drive the vehicle onto a shipping deck on its own wheels where it is going to be securely fastened and shipped to the destination point. This is the cheapest way but is also risky because your car will be exposed to the fury of the elements and you are not allowed to transport other items.
- Container Shipping. This method allows you to safely store you car within a container. It’s more expensive but you get a lot of value off of it if you have other belongings that you want to ship.
With stringent regulations on vehicle imports due to environment protection laws, we have provided you with general and basic information you can consider:
- Right-handed vehicles only.
- No mortgages on the car.
- You can’t use the car to travel outside of the country.
- Registration has to be valid.
- You have to register it two weeks after the import.
- Support documentation associated with the car has to be submitted.
- The car has to be in perfect working condition.
If you want to ensure a hassle-free transit, make sure to carefully abide by the rules. Once the car arrives in the country, you’d have to pay the required taxes and pick the car up. Contact us today and let us plan the shipment to Jaffna.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?