A small town, Holetown is one of the most popular destinations for tourists in Barbados. Situated on the western coast, the scenic location is located in the parish of St. James.
Many people move to Barbados to work or retire, while plenty of returning citizens call it home. And when you are here, having your personal vehicle can be an asset. However, there are limitations and requirements that need to be adhered to before your vehicle can enter the Barbados.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Limitations and regulations for import of vehicles.
If you are a diplomat, there is no import duty and you are allowed to import your vehicle without any restrictions. Additionally, for the rest, there are many taxes and duties that are determined by the value of the vehicle its age and engine power. For returning citizens, there are some specific rules:
- No charges for importing a vehicle but imperative to get the approvals from the Ministry of Finance.
- Proof of ownership of the car for a minimum of 3 years.
- Proof that you have lived for 3 years continuously in the past.
You can get more information about the returning citizen programs from the Embassy of Barbados.
Documentation and cost of vehicle import.
All vehicles and other cargo that is imported to Barbados are received at the Port Of Bridgetown. To ensure that there are no hassles and the vehicle clears custom easily, one of our shipping agents will be with you at every step to ensure that the procedures are completed hassle-free. However, it is good to know in advance about the other minor regulations and specification that need adherence. These include:
- Imported vehicle has to be new or within 4 years from manufacture.
- No more than 50,000 km on the odometer.
- Prove ownership of the vehicle.
Apart from the stringent rules, there are other associated costs that you will need to consider before shopping the vehicle:
- Import duty varies from 40% to 45% of the vehicle value and implemented on all vehicles imported to Barbados.
- Additional VAT of 17.5% on all vehicles.
- A used vehicle owner has to pay an environment tax of $4000 while new cars are charged at $300.
- Custom and excise taxes vary from 10% to 120% based on the engine capacity, price and weight of the vehicle.
- Port charges are extra.
However, irrespective of the cost of the import, it is not difficult to import your vehicle to Holetown. At A1 Auto Transport service, we will take care of all the documentation and other eligibility requirements and coordinate so that the vehicle reaches Barbados quickly. Some of the important documents include:
- Log book of the owner.
- Insurance certificate.
- Import permit from the Ministry.
- Purchase invoice of the vehicle.
- Bill of Lading.
- Registration documents of the vehicle.
- Clear title deed.
- Passport and Driving license of the owner.
Methods of Shipping.
Though there are different shipping methods that are in vogue when you are looking to transport your vehicle to Holetown in Barbados. We can help you decide the best method depending upon the value of your vehicle and the cost of shipping. Although the quickest method to transport your car is by air but the prohibitive costs aren’t worth it. The other methods include container shipping and Roll on, Roll off (RORO).
RORO is the most popular method as the cost is only for parking the vehicle. The car is drive onto the ship deck, secured and then driven off at Bridgetown. However, you cannot keep any personal items in the car and have to remove all flammable gases and fluids including air conditioning gas. While in container shipping you can keep your household belongings along with the car into a large 20 feet or 40 feet container. Share the container to split the cost with someone else.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?