Heraklion is the largest city and administrative center of the island of Crete in the country of Greece. While commuting in it is fairly easy, you might want consider importing your own car for further convenience.
Shipping your car from the USA would definitely not be easy as there is the port of Piraeus which is the largest passenger port in Europe. Transporting your car is fairly easy but there is still a lot of tedious paperwork which needs to be filed and filled out. This is why it’s advisable to hire international shipping agent like the A-1 Auto Transport service as they have over two decades of professional experience which is definitely going to help you a lot.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicles for Visitors.
Those who want to stand in the city for an extended amount of time can bring in cars and motorcycles and other vehicles for free for the first 6 months. You won’t be able to sell it or give it to someone else. You need to show the tags of your particular license plates, an up-to-date registration as well as proof of insurance when entering the country. You need to apply for temporary tags if they expire while you are there.
Regulations for new citizens.
Those who want to move permanently would have to pay import duty unless the car is a part of the household items. You are going to have to show residency permit when entering the city and you can apply for it at the Consulate of Greece in the USA, if you are married to a Greek, have a permanent job in Greece or you are of Greek descent. Other factors include:
- Car must be bought 6 months before the import.
- New cars are subjected to VAT and fees for registration for both new and used cars.
- Those who bring in vehicles duty-free can’t sell it for a year unless they pay the duties.
- Rent receipt or property tax.
- W-2 form.
- Proof of past employment.
- Utility bills.
- Valid and expired passports.
- Working permit or residence visa.
You have to show your AFM card in order to get the vehicle in Heraklion. This card is also necessary for paying your taxes or opening bank accounts and you should apply for it as soon as you are in the city.
There is a general, noise and emissions inspections before you can drive it. Once you are through you have to apply for license plates and registrations. If you want to understand more about the process you should consider contacting us at A1 Auto Transport Company today.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?