The most populated city and the capital of the Zimbabwe, Harare is the center of all financial, commercial, trade and industry in the country. There are number of reasons for people to come and live here and some of these include returning citizens, diplomats on official stay, expatriates on work permits and even students. Irrespective of the reason of your temporary or long term stay in Harare, it will be more convenient if you have your own vehicle with you to commute in the city or to other cities in Zimbabwe.
As it is a landlocked country and has no seaport, you will need to ship your car till to Namibia or Mozambique as they have ports and then the vehicle can be driven down or loaded on multi-carriers to be delivered in Harare. However, another option is through river ports and Harare is a bustling port city. Thus, before you ship your vehicle from USA, discuss the details of the transportation and shipping options with an international auto transport service such as A1 Auto Transport Service. Not only are we one of the leading international shipping services but we have ample experience shipping vehicles to South Africa with ease.
Important considerations and documentation
As per the Revenue Authority Zimbabwe (ZIMRA), it is essential to fill in all of the details about the car that you are importing in on the FORM 47 which is the Customs Declaration Form. From the engine and chassis numbers to the registration deed details and the rest, you can consult with the shipping service or contact the Revenue Authority directly for more details. Other important considerations include:
- Only right hand drive vehicles are allowed to be imported
- 40% custom duties on all vehicles is mandatory
- Additional 25% tax is levied if the vehicle is older than 5 years
But Zimbabwe as lax environment protection rules so there are no tests on emission and road worthiness of the vehicles. As with any import, there are documents and paperwork to be submitted. These include:
- Car title deed
- Proof of ownership
- Passport and Driver’s license of owner
- S Insurance certificate
- ZIMRA Custom declaration Form 47
- SABS Letter of Authority
- Import permit
- Residence/work permit in Zimbabwe
The most common freight shipping options that you need to select from includes RORO and Container shipment. The car will be shipped from the U.S port to a port in Mozambique or Namibia and then it will be further transported by river shipping or driven across the border to Harare. You will need to discuss the details with A1 Auto Transport Company before shipping out of USA.
RORO shipping is cheaper as compared to container shipment as you only pay for the space of the car on the deck while in container shipping; you pay for a 20 feet or 40 feet container and space on the ship. There are no stringent limitations when you ship the car and household goods in the container but that no illegal items (deemed illegal in Zimbabwe) is allowed. However, in RORO, your car is driven on the deck, secured in place and driven off at the destination port. You are not allowed to keep anything personal, air conditioning gas has to be removed and the car cleaned before it can be shipped under RORO.
A1 Auto shipping company will be happy to assist you with all information on shipping your vehicle to Harare. However, if you need more information on Custom levies and procedures or latest import regulations, contact the Embassy of the Republic of Zimbabwe.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory