A beautiful city in South Lanarkshire in Scotland, Hamilton is located in the Lowlands. It is the main hub of administration and trade in the council area and the city is counted as the 4th largest in the country.
Hamilton is about 12 miles from Glasgow and is scenically located on the banks of River Clyde.
Irrespective of the reason of your stay in Hamilton, the fact remains that using public transportation can add up to the cost of your stay apart from limiting movement to a certain extent. Thus whether you are a returning citizen or working here in Hamilton on a work permit, you can import your personal vehicle and enjoy the freedom to traverse the city. However, the first step is to hire the services of a reliable and experienced auto shipping company such as A1 Auto Transport service. They have been in the business of international shipping of vehicles for years and can assist you through the complete process of shipping your vehicle to Hamilton.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
As Scotland comes under the laws and regulations of United Kingdom, import laws don’t differ. For the import of vehicles to Hamilton and other cities in Scotland, the regulations are covered under Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989. Apart from the Individual Vehicle Approval program, all safety issues and emissions laws as applicable in EU are followed. If you need to get an idea about the variety of custom taxes to get an approximate budget on the vehicle shipment, contact A1 Auto Transport service. We are used to shipping vehicles regularly to UK and Scotland and thus understand the working of the HM Revenue and Customs.
Cost of import to Scotland.
When you import a vehicle to Scotland, the tax and tariff depend upon the size of the engine, amount of emission and other technicalities while there is additional VAT which has to be paid. However, if there is a possibility that you are eligible for tax exemptions, we’ll be glad to help. The conditions for tax-free import include meeting the following conditions:
- If you are relocating permanently ot Hamilton or any other city in Scotland/UK.
- In case you are re-importing a vehicle that was exported to U.S.
- If you only need the vehicle temporarily (for less than 6 months)
There are other specifications and regulations that have to be followed which includes that any vehicle over the age of 10 years, calculated from manufacturing year has to follow the laws laid down by the Department of Transport. Additionally, you are required to fill in the details at the Vehicle Import Pack. It is important to know that Scotland’s laws are strict and it is essential to follow all emissions laws and has to clear the relevant inspections or the vehicle will be quarantined at the port.
Documentation for import.
After the import process begins, you need to notify the HM Revenue and Customs by filling out the relevant forms. In case you are importing a left hand dive vehicle, you are required to submit the Certificate of Mutual Recognition, in addition to the European Certificate of Conformity which all import vehicle owners have to submit. For those moving here on a permanent basis, you are not required to pay VAT. However, you need to be eligible only if:
- Moving to Hamilton on a more permanent basis.
- Have been living abroad for over 12 months.
- Owning the vehicle for over six months.
- All liens and taxes need to be paid.
- Cannot sell it for 1 year.
Some of the documents that need to be submitted to the Customs department in US and in Scotland include:
- Registration certificate.
- Title deed.
- Ownership proof- passport/driving license.
- Bill of Lading.
You might like to contact the Embassy of United Kingdom for answers to your queries or to know about the specific details of the vehicle import.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?