One of the large port cities in Iceland, Hafnarfjörður is situated about 6 miles from Reykjavík. It is the third largest town in the country and a major trade and cultural center. In case you are planning on moving there for business or personal reasons and intend staying here for a few months or permanently, it helps to import your vehicle from USA.
To start with, you need to hire a shipping company that has plenty of experience such as A1 Auto Transport so that they can guide you through the processes. It is best to plan in advance about your relocation and think about shipping your vehicle along with the rest of the belongings. Additionally, it helps to know about the internationals hipping laws of Iceland and the other restrictions or eligibility criteria of the Iceland Customs department
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicle regulations to adhere to.
It is important that you adhere to the regulation that you should have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months before you can ship it to Hafnarfjörður. Another essential criterion is that you should have lived in USA for minimum 12 months to export it to Iceland. Additionally, as per laws in Iceland, you are required to ensure that if you leave the country, you take the vehicle back as sale or even loan to drive the vehicle is not permitted.
You are required to show proof of ownership before the vehicle is shipped and have to be present when the vehicle arrives in Iceland. If you cannot receive the vehicle, you can give the Power of Attorney to A1 Auto Transport service, the leading international auto shipping company with over 20 years of experience in transporting vehicles worldwide. We can help you through the complete process, right from filing the documents with the U.S Customs and Border Protection and at the Iceland Customs department.
Paperwork and documentation.
There are some specific documents that you need when you are shipping your vehicle to Hafnarfjörður. These include:
- Dual license needed- USA and Iceland.
- S. bought car insurance valid internationally.
- Proof of ownership- passport/valid ID.
- Power of Attorney (if you cannot be there to receive the vehicle)
- Certificate of Duty Free Importation Declaration.
- Residence/work permits.
- Clear title deed.
- Car registration documents.
- Bill of Sale of vehicle.
- Freight invoice.
- Inventory of the import- includes car and personal items.
Eligibility of import.
When you are importing your vehicle to Hafnarfjörður, it is important to ensure that your vehicle has been registered in USA before you import it and you should have owned it for a minimum of 12 months. It is important that after you move to Hafnarfjörður, you import the vehicle within the first month of being in Iceland. However, getting the local Iceland insurance on the vehicle is important.
Before the vehicle is shipped from USA, it is essential that you have the full-quote on the vehicle transportation. The cost of shipping the vehicle will depend upon the method of freight transport that you select. It is best to contact the Embassy of Iceland to understand the procedures and requirements before you ship. The two methods that are commonly used are Roll-on/Roll-Off and Container shipping. Container shipping allows you to ship personal items along with the vehicle while in RORO you can only ship an empty vehicle.
If you need additional information on international shipping of vehicle to Iceland, you can contact the Iceland Embassy or call in at A1 Auto Transport service.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory