One of the larger cities in Uganda, Gulu is the administrative and commercial center of the district by the same name. The city is located about 210 miles from Kampala which Uganda’s capital city.
With the development of the country, more and more people are looking to buy vehicles. As there is limited manufacturing, it is cheaper to import vehicles from abroad instead of buying it in Uganda. To ease imports, there are very few restrictions and Japan is the biggest exporter of used vehicles to Uganda.
If you plan on moving to Gulu for commercial and personal reasons, as per laws, both new and used vehicle can be imported to the country. To ease the import of vehicles, there is no age limit and right/left hand driven vehicles are both permitted. As with any international import, it is import to consider laws in both the countries and that is why you need to follow the guideline when it comes to importing vehicles from USA.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Motor vehicle regulations.
As there are lax laws about importing vehicles, it is easy to import vehicles. New vehicles are easily imported but the used vehicles are inspected and scrutinized before they are accepted into Uganda. There are some inspections done to ensure that the vehicle can serve the purpose.
One of them is the Roadworthiness test. This is done in USA before the vehicle is exported and the certificate has to accompany the other documents that verify and prove ownership. It is an assurance that the odometer shows genuine reading and the vehicle is in good condition. Emissions tests are also done so that it qualifies for environment laws in Uganda. It is important to note that these tests have to be completed before the vehicle is exported from USA to Gulu in Uganda.
Duties and tariffs.
The duty on the imported vehicle is evaluated by the GATT method of valuation. The GATT stands for General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs and as per the law, there is a standard 15% import duty, 2% import commission, 17% VAT, plus a withholding tax of 6%. Additionally, there is a 10% excise duty in some cases when super luxury vehicles are imported.
Submission of documents.
You are not only required to submit documents to the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) but these are also required when you ship your vehicle from USA. Some of the important documents include:
- Listed inventory of the vehicle/additional goods.
- Bill of Lading.
- Ownership proof- passport, driving license.
- Purchase invoice of the vehicle.
- Original logbook of the vehicle.
- Insurance certificate.
- Emission, roadworthiness test certificates.
Port for import.
As Uganda is a land-locked country, the nearest port for freight shipping deliveries is the Kentan port of Mombasa or the Tanzanian Port of Dar-Es-Salaam. From there on, you will need to take care of the logistics of the vehicle. That is where A1 Auto Transport service steps in. We will ensure that the legal formalities are completed at the port and the vehicle transported to Gulu with ease.
To know more about import laws and regulations, limitations and requirements, please contact the Embassy of Uganda in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory