Glasgow is the biggest city of Scotland and is part of Lanarkshire, on the banks of River Clyde. There can be plenty of reasons to move to this beautiful and economically strong city including work, study or even as a returning citizen. As Scotland is an integral part of UK all of the import policies are governed by United Kingdom’s import laws.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Before you plan to import your vehicle for easy commuting in and around Glasgow, the two major rules that govern imports of vehicles include:
It is essential that the vehicle that you intend importing from USA meets all of the safety and environmental policies of UK. As per the prevalent laws, your vehicle needs to be approved as per Individual Vehicle Approval scheme. With different UK custom duties and taxes that are applicable, after your vehicle is shipped to Glasgow, you need to ensure you have the relevant information about it. The car vehicle taxes are applicable by the emissions and engine size and where the vehicle has been registered. There is additional VAT which is applicable before the vehicle is shipped to USA. However, there are exemptions available so you will need to see whether you fall into the category including:
- If you are moving to Edinburg on a permanent basis.
- If you are bringing back a vehicle exported from Scotland.
- Non-European member and are importing the vehicle temporarily for below 6 months.
Though it is always better to hire reliable international shipping services such as A1 Auto Transport service, to assist with the move, you should be knowledgeable about the VAT that is payable. You can do that by filling the details to see if you qualify for the tax waivers at HM Revenue and Customs. Additionally, to ease the procedures, you can complete the vehicle Import Pack which is an important step by the Department of Transport in UK. You need to do this especially if you intend shipping a vehicle over 10 years old. United Kingdom and Scotland have limitations and restrictions placed over used old vehicles.
Regulations on importing a vehicle.
It is essential to have a few documents for exemptions which include European Certificate of Conformity and a Certificate of Mutual Recognition, if your car is left hand driven. It is important to inform the HM revenue and Customs through Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) when you import a vehicle. If you are moving to Glasgow, you might not be required to pay VAT if you are eligible for Residence Relief which is needed for vehicles imported from USA and other countries outside the EU. However, it is imperative that you meet these conditions including:
- You are moving to Scotland.
- If you lived for at least 12 months outside EU.
- You owned and used the vehicle for a minimum of 6 months in USA.
- You purchased the vehicle and paid all taxes.
- You intend using the vehicle for at least a year.
To file for the tax relief, you have to fill in the Form C104A and will need to submit it with the Customs and Excise department. As with any import, you will be required to submit the proof of identity as the owner, insurance of the vehicle and other related documents. Talk with A1 Auto Transport service to select the best method to ship your vehicle to Glasgow or contact the Embassy of United Kingdom to get the latest updates on import laws.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?