Deliver Your Car Stress Free
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Ghent
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers ready to serve
- RORO, container & air freight transport overseas
- BBB A+ rated award winning service, always on time
- Get an instant quote using our form, or call: 1-800-518-8708
Ghent is a municipality and city, situated in Flemish area of Belgium. As the largest city in East Flanders, Ghent began as a settlement at the confluence of Rivers Leie and Scheldt.
Transporting vehicles from other European countries are covered under less stringent laws but when you import it from USA, there are a different set of laws, including emissions standards that have to be adhered to.
To start with, it is important to consider that if you are planning to import a vehicle for your own use or part of the household goods, customs duties and VAT exemptions are available. The related clauses and adherence to them ensure exempts:
- Vehicles purchased in a non-EU country and drive/owned for minimum six months, before import to Ghent.
- The owner of the vehicle must have lived outside EU for 1 year before importing his vehicle.
- The owner must keep the car for at least one year after importing.
- Paid VAT or any equivalent amount, before importing the vehicle.
It is best that you work with a shipping service that has experience importing vehicles to Belgium from USA. That is why working with A1 Auto Transport service work best.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Registration and documentation.
For clearing the Belgium Customs, there are some documents, which must be kept handy upon arrival:
- Purchase invoice of the vehicle.
- Letter requesting exemption from taxes (if eligible)
- Lien free title deed.
- Payment proof or the receipt for VAT or any of the equivalent charges.
- Receipt of vehicle insurance (bought at least six months before the importing)
- Proof of residence of living outside EU for minimum 12 months.
- Bill of Lading.
In case, your vehicle does not meet the requirements for importing duty exemption, you will be required to pay as per the current laws. After you have imported the vehicle to Ghent, it is important to get it registered officially with Belgian authorities. It is a lengthy procedure and necessary to be completed within 6 months, after the import.
Methods of shipping to the Ghent.
Even though air shipping is considered to be the fastest method, but it is extremely expensive. Most people prefer RORO and container shipping as it is affordable. If you ship by RORO, the vehicle is driven onboard and driven off at Burges port. But if you are relocating and have household goods along with the vehicle to transport, hiring 20 feet or 40 feet container to ship both is handy. It offers complete protection and safer transit.
Talk with A1 Auto Transport service to ensure that your vehicle is shipped at the most affordable price. You can also contact the Embassy of Belgium to get the latest details.
Driving in Ghent.
Here, the driving rules differ from that in the US, and you have to check out on details first. The roads are well-lighted, and paved, so there is no issue with vehicle maintenance.