A global financial center and diplomatic hub, Geneva is the second most populated cities in Switzerland. It is headquarter of Red Cross, United Nations and most of the international associations and global organizations. If you intend moving to Geneva on a diplomatic mission, as a tourist or on a resident permit for a long term or temporarily you need to have your own vehicle. Even though Geneva has well-placed transportation system, but the convenience of owning your own vehicle is unparalleled.
As a U.S citizen, you will find it easy to move your vehicle to Geneva as both the countries have good relations. If you are going to reside in Geneva, you can import the car duty free but the Swiss Authorities will need proof that you have owned the car for at least six months. After the custom authorities have cleared the vehicle for delivery, you will need to get it registered at the Canton traffic department.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Additionally, if you are a student or a tourist, you can import your vehicle for personal use, without payment of custom duties. However, your status as a foreigner has to be established. While if you are on a temporary work or resident permit, you can import the vehicle without custom duties after the custom authorities give clearance for it by providing duty free custom plates. All foreign made imported vehicles have to undergo emission and technical tests. Additionally, anti-pollution tests and chassis strength is essential as Switzerland is an environmentally conscious country that requires all the tests done. Usually the custom duty is charged at 4% of the vehicle’s value and you can know more about it at the Swiss Customs Administration. To get more details, you can consult the A1 Auto Transport Service as we have over 20 years of experience working on different aspects of shipping vehicles. Though shipping prices vary depending upon the distance and method of shipping that you select; the methods include:
- RORO: Your vehicle is driven on the ship, secured and then driven off the ship. All personal items need to be removed, and only need to have a spare tire, floor mats, and spare keys. Air conditioning gas needs to be removed.
- Enclosed container: With 20 feet or 40 feet containers, you are allowed to put your car and other personal items to ship to Geneva.
The traffic rules differ in U.S and Switzerland, once you get the details on the visit the Association of Road Traffic Offices. Additionally, the 18 years is the minimum age requirement for driving cars while you need to be 21 years for commercial driving. Though you can use the International Driving License for the first year and later on you will need to convert it to Swiss license. It can be availed at the Federal Roads Office. For additional information about the import of vehicles and the related regulations, you can contact the Swiss Embassy in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?