Gaborone is the capital as well as the largest city in the country of Botswana. It has its’ location between Kgale and Oodi Hills in the southeastern part of the country. It is approximately 15 kilometers away from the border of South Africa. It is also the administrative district and the capital of the South-East District.
There are a lot of things that have to be properly accounted for prior to shipping your car to Gaborone from the United States. One of the most important things to consider is that the roads are incredibly rough, as most of them are rugged and only about ¼ of the roads are paved. It is incredibly recommended to drive a 4×4 vehicle in Gaborone.
You are also going to be aware of the nearest ports to your home in order to pick up your vehicle. This information should be presented by the shipping agency.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicle Shipment regulations in Botswana.
There are very few actual regulations and the country does not have any limitations on importing cars. However, there are some regulations that you would have to consider and they are the following:
- You have to have an application form IC.2/provided by the transport agent/.
- Registration documents proving that the vehicle has been owned for no less than a year.
- Permit of import or a permit of residency issued by the Commerce Committee.
- Bill of Sale which indicates the total buying price of the vehicle.
- Form CE101 in two separate copies.
- Valid Passport.
- Clearance Certificate issued by the police.
All of the vehicles which are imported have to pay a National Road Safety Fund tax which amounts to exactly $4.52. The tax is paid annually and it expires at the end of December. You can receive further information from the Embassy of Botswana in Washington, DC.
You are going to be required to present certain documents in order to arrange the shipment to the country. You are going to need the following paperwork:
- Original Registration and Title.
- Driver’s License.
- Undersigned Power of Attorney if you won’t be available to pick up your car at the port.
- Social Security Card.
Before the shipment.
You are going to have a properly finalized quote of the cost of the shipping as well as the expenses of the driving the car to your home if you don’t plan on receiving it personally. This should happen prior to the date of shipping. You will also have to thoroughly clear the interior as well as the trunk of the car and remove all objects which are inside. The most convenient port is called Durban. It’s not legal to drive an imported car on the roads of South Africa so you have to ensure that you make the proper arrangements with the Customs Clearance Agent. The vehicle has to be delivered in Botswana for you.
Different shipping types.
There are two particular types that you can choose from:
- Roll On/Roll Off (Ro-Ro Shipping) – This is the overly desired method for shipping to Botswana. The vehicles are going to be driven up a ramp onto the ship and fastened on the deck with braces and brackets. The car is then going to undertake the overseas journey to the destination point. This is the most secure way to get your car transferred due to the fact that it is going to be securely fastened onto the deck. It is also the cheapest way.
- Container Shipping – This way entails that your car is going to be shipped by being placed within a container on a carrier ship. This method is a bit more expensive. However, you are going to get great value, especially if you have to relocate other personal belongings alongside your vehicle. You can choose from 20ft and 40ft containers. You would have to make sure that you have all of the paperwork properly filled out prior to the shipment. Once this is done you would have to hire a transport company to deal with the shipping process itself. You can always refer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency for any further information that you may require.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?