The capital and largest city in Sierra Leone, Freetown a bustling port and hub of economic, educational, financial and political center, it has attracted students, returning citizens and people looking for employment opportunities. If you are moving to Freetown on business or personal reasons, it is advisable to have your own vehicle to travel around the city.
When you are shipping your vehicle from USA to Freetown in Sierra Leone, you need to take into account eligibility and limitations before you start the process of shipping. The first step is to engage the services of an experienced service that specializes in transporting vehicles to countries in Africa. A1 Auto Transport service has over 20 years of expertize in working with customs and regulations of different countries globally. From filling the documents to discussing the method of shipment and other services that they offer, you can benefit with expertise. If you cannot drive down to the nearest port city, A1 Auto transport service offers door to port services to facilitate the transportation.
You can consult the Federal Maritime Commission to know about the shipping laws and procedures or get in touch with the Embassy of Sierra Leone for the current import regulations. This will help you put the documents in order accordingly.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Specific laws and regulations.
Each country has its own requirements and when you are shipping to Freetown, you need to ensure that these documents are submitted so that clearances are given quickly. The paperwork has to include original and copies of:
- Bill of sale.
- Registration documents of the vehicle.
- International Insurance Policy.
- Bill of Lading.
- Vehicle details including VIN, chassis and engine no, model, make and license plates.
- Work or Residence Permit.
- Owner’s Driving License/Passport.
- Power of Attorney to the shipping service to collect the vehicle on your behalf.
- Social Security number.
As the import tax varies, the year of manufacture, model and engine capacity is considered along with the accessories are evaluated. The tax range starts at 5% on old vehicles to 110% on newer models. It is best to get a written quote on the total shipment cost but the method that you use for shipping plays an important role. Thus, before the final cost can be evaluated, you will need to pick between RORO and Container shipping.
- Roll-On/Roll-Off: If you have a standard car and are on a budget, Roll-On/Roll-Off works well as container shipping is more expensive. Your vehicle is driven onboard the freight ship and then when it reaches Freetown, the car is driven down the ship. You will need to adhere to the limitations which include shipping the vehicle empty, only leaving ¼ tank of fuel and removing the air conditioning gas before the car ships from USA.
- Container shipping: The car or vehicle will be secured and harnessed within 20 feet or 40 feet container. You are allowed to put in your personal items and household goods to be shipped along the vehicle. However, no item that is deemed illegal in the country will be allowed. Thus check with the regulations and laws, before you pack the container.
You can discuss the details of shipping your vehicle to Sierra Leona with A1 Auto Transport service and we’ll be glad to be of assistance.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?