The second largest city in Botswana, Francistown is 250 miles away from Gaborone, the capital of Botswana. Scenically located at the confluence of Inchwe and Tati rivers, the city is a hub of economic activities and has a number of employment opportunities.
Shipping your vehicle from USA to Francistown is comparatively easy as there are few regulations and there aren’t restrictions on importing vehicles. However, you need to be aware that the roadways are rugged and unpaved in most parts of the city and only about quarter of the roads might be paved. Thus, it makes sense to import SUVs or 4-wheel drives, which can traverse over the rugged terrain.
Additionally, it is import to discuss all aspects of the shipping requirements with the international shipping agents at A1 Auto Transport service. From picking the nearest port in USA to the method of shipping and calculating the total cost, they will do it all. Additionally, you will need to decide whether to pay extra and opt for ‘door to port’ service, where the shipping service will pick your vehicle from the doorstep and deliver it to the domestic US port or you want to save more by driving it on your own.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Botswana Motor vehicle regulations.
With little restrictions and flexible laws on import of vehicles, you need to ensure that you adhere to the motor vehicle requirements and documentation which include:
- Proof of owning the vehicle for 1 year before import.
- Submit the Form IC.2.
- Import permit authorized by Committee of Commerce.
- Original Bill of Sale.
- Two copies of the Form CE101.
- Current and valid passport/driving license of owner.
- Certificate of Clearance from the police.
Apart from the duties and import tax, there is a National Road Safety Fund tax of around US$5 that has to be paid by all imported vehicles annually in December. Contact the Botswana Embassy for further details on the latest regulations.
As there are no ports in Botswana, you are required to ship your vehicle to Durban in South Africa and then have the vehicle driven across to Francistown. Although this adds to the freight charges, there isn’t any other option. Thus, it is best to get the assistance of A1 Auto Transport service in ensuring that all rules and regulations are followed for safe transit and quick delivery of the vehicle in Francistown. It is essential that you get the interior of the car cleaned completely and it is transported to the port of USA when there are no personal items within the car, especially if you are shipping by RORO.
Cost and methods of freight shipping.
The cost of the shipping will be calculated based on the methods of shipping, freight insurance and the price on the vehicle. The shipping company representatives will be able to help you with the details. There are two basic methods to freight ship your vehicle namely:
- Container shipping: Your vehicle is put within a large 20 feet or 40 feet container and if you are moving to Botswana you can put your household goods along with the vehicle. This method works well when you have an expensive vehicle to ship as it protects the car from the ravages of weather while in transit.
- RORO: This is the most common method of shipping to Francistown and rest of the cities in Botswana. Your car is driven on board the ship’s deck and secured for transit. At the last port of destination, the vehicle is driven off the deck using ramps. As the vehicle has to be transported on the open deck, it is devoid of any personal items, and only minimum fuel is allowed in the tank.
Additionally, make sure that all of the documents are completed before you ship so that there are no delays at the U.S port or at the Botswana border. You can contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency and the Botswana Embassy for more details.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?