Faial Island is a part of Archipelago of Azores. The island is also known as ‘the Ilha Azul’ or Blue Island, known for the beautiful blooming hydrangeas during summers. Those planning to move to this destination, with its tropical weather and beaches need to think about vehicle import. With your own car in tow, you do not have to depend upon public transportation. Whether you are here on work permit, as returning citizen, or diplomat make sure to get the latest information from the Azores Embassy. They will let you know about the associated regulations.
As with import anywhere, you will need to submit documents, pay the fee, and complete the procedures as per Azores laws. Some of the basic document requirements are as follows:
- Lading bill and VAT NR.
- Title deed and vehicle insurance.
- Address proof.
- Driving license valid.
- Invoice of vehicle purchase -minimum six-month old.
- Approval from Directorate of Taxes.
- Visa and passport of owner.
The duty rates related to import vehicle to Azores is 16% standard based upon the associated price. Besides this, you will also need to pay the VAT charges. The license plate from USA will be valid for only six months after this, apply for a new one from Director General of Traffic. Before issuing the new plate, they will do an emission test and consider the roadworthiness of your car. In case they detect issues, undertake modification before the issuance of Portuguese plate. It is essential to pay the associated fee.
Shipping vehicles to Azores.
You can choose from two different types of shipping method based upon the type of the vehicle, related expenses, and personal preference. The procedure involves many formalities and document submissions at the Azores Customs Department. Those on a budget have to consider not only the associated levies and custom duties but choose the shipping mode. The two major options in this regard are:
- Container Shipping: the vehicle enters a metal container that measures between 20 feet - 40 feet. It is possible to transport even the household goods along with the car in the container. This brings down the overall expenses significantly and is ideal for sophisticated vehicles such a sports car. Cranes are used for loading the vehicle and sealing it inside the container. Offloading occurs at destination port.
- Roll Off/Roll on: Those looking for a cheap transport mode will like this option. Here the payment relates only to the vehicle parking on deck. The car is driven on on-board and secure at the bay. At Faial Island, it will again roll off the ship. In this method of shipping however it is not allowed that you leave personal belongings, and A/C gas within the car.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.