The capital of Scotland, the panoramic city of Edinburgh is situated in Lothian on the Firth of Forth shores. As an important cultural, political and economic center, Edinburgh is a favored destination for not just tourists but expatriates and diplomats too. From returning citizens to students, there are plenty of opportunities for all categories. However, it is best if you have your own vehicle to travel within and outside the city limits. To start with before you start the process, it is best to contact A1 Auto Transport service to ship your vehicle to Edinburgh.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
As Scotland is a part of United Kingdom, all of the laws applicable to import of vehicles are the same. The two main regulations governing the imports include Road Vehicle Regulations 1986 and Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989.
As Scotland has similar laws, it is important to adhere to all environmental and safety clauses of UK apart from being approved as per the current Individual Vehicle Approval scheme. There are many fees and custom taxes that need to be cleared when you ship your vehicle to Edinburgh. It is best to consult A1 Auto Transport service to understand the specific requirements.
It is important to know that VAT is applicable on the imported vehicle. The tax on the car or any other vehicle which is imported varies depending on the engine size, emission and other parameters. However, there are exemptions on the fees and taxes based on fulfilling these conditions:
- moving to Edinburgh permanently.
- Importing a vehicle that was exported from Scotland.
- Importing the car/vehicle for less than six months.
To check for tax exemptions, you will need to fill out the required information at the HM Revenue and Customs and see if you qualify. If you intend shipping a vehicle from USA that is over ten years from manufacture, you will need to adhere to the laws of Department of Transport and fill in the Vehicle Import Pack. Scotland has stringent restrictions on used vehicles and only after emission tests and roadworthiness tests are conducted that it can be cleared.
Essential documentation and procedures.
When you import a vehicle, notifying the HM Revenue and Customs becomes important and this is done by Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA). Additionally, you are required to submit the European Certificate of Conformity and if the vehicle is left hand drive, you need to have the Certificate of Mutual Recognition. If you are moving here permanently, your vehicle is considered as part of the household goods and thus there is no applicable VAT. But you need to meet this criterion:
- Permanently moving to Edinburgh.
- Have been living in USA for at least 1 year.
- Are the owner of the vehicle and have used it for at least six months.
- Vehicle is cleared of all liens and taxes are paid.
- Don’t intend selling it for at least 1 year.
There are additional documents that you need to submit with the U.S Customs and at the HM Revenue and Customs in Scotland. These include:
- Title deed and registration certificate.
- Owner’s proof- driving license/passport copies.
- Insurance certificate.
It is best to contact the Embassy of United Kingdom to get the latest details on import of vehicles or call A1 Auto Transport service.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?