Scenically located on the banks of the Daugava River, the Latvian city of Daugavpils is the second largest city in the country. It is a major industrial hub and major railway junction, ensuring employment for both locals and foreigners in the city. Strategically situated between Minsk and Riga, the location makes it a center of economic and cultural activities. Additionally there are many U.S based companies that oftentimes have employees working here. If you are living in Daugavpils or planning to move here for a few months or on a more permanent basis, you would be glad to have your own vehicle as public transport isn’t the best here.
It is important to know about the rules and regulations in Latvia when you start planning on shipping your vehicle here. Your vehicle will be shipped from the local US port to Port at Riga and then after the delivery has been taken, the car will be driven down to Daugavpils. To facilitate the vehicle transit, it is good to work with A1 Auto Transport service that has been in the international auto shipping industry for over 20 years. We understand the complex procedures, documentations and ways to get the custom cleared at the Latvia ports. To know the details about export-import taxes and limitations, contact the Latvian Customs authorities.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Important motor vehicle regulations in Latvia.
Before you ship your vehicle to Daugavpils, it is essential to know about the vehicle regulations in Latvia. These include:
- Vehicles imported to the country are allowed 12- month temporary, import status.
- Used vehicles that are over 7 years old are taxed an additional 18% VAT.
- Below 7 years have a 10% tax and 10% VAT applicable on import.
- Vehicles are registered in the shipper’s name.
- The custom tax will depend upon the CIF and the market value of the car.
International shipping has to comply with essential documentation that is submitted at the domestic US port and the Riga port. You need to file these documents:
- Original Bill of vehicle purchase.
- International Driving Permit.
- Import License.
- Owner’s Driving License.
Methods of Shipping to Latvia.
There are different methods of shipping your vehicle. The fastest yet the most expensive method is through air shipping but it is too expensive. Usually most people prefer the Roll-on/Roll-Off (RORO) method as it is cost effective. You only pay for the amount of space your vehicle takes, as it is secured and harnessed along with other vehicles on the deck. However, due to the affordable price and open parking, you are not allowed to leave any accessories or personal goods inside it. The vehicle has to be steam cleaned and air conditioning gas has to be removed. However, if you have an expensive vehicle or a vintage car or need to send your household goods along with the car, then container shipping is a better option. Your car will be secured and harnessed to minimize movement during transit and the other goods placed within the same 20 feet or 40 feet container. This is more expensive yet safer method of shipping.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?