The second largest city in Mongolia, Darkhan is the industrial center and the capital of the Darkhan-Uul Province. As one of the most prominent cities of the country, people study and work in large numbers. Thus, if you are planning on moving here to work or stay, it helps to have your vehicle as you might not want to depend upon public transportation for everyday commuting.
As Mongolia is landlocked country, the sea bound freight cargo ships offload at Chinese ports of Qingdao and Tianjin a specified by the shipping agents. The commonly used methods of shipping include:
- RORO: The cheapest means of transporting the vehicle. There are limitations that you cannot keep any personal belongings in the car and have to clan it before shipping. Additionally only keys, spare tire, jack and floor mats are allowed within the car. The car is driven on at the US port and driven off at the Chinese port.
- Container shipping: This is a much safer way of transporting the vehicle. Your household goods and the vehicle is secured within 20 or 40 feet container and sealed. This keeps the vehicle protected from harsh weather conditions and collateral damage.
You need to be present to take the delivery of the vehicle or give an authorization to A1 Auto Transport service to collect the vehicle on your behalf. We can take the delivery and further land transport it to Darkhan. Getting the logistics correct is important as the vehicle will pass through multiple check points in China and then cross the Mongolian Customs department before it can be delivered in Darkhan. You will require a number of documents that will prove your ownership and legality of the import. Additionally, some of the documents will provide a proof of the vehicle’s value which is important for the calculation of taxes and insurance of the car or any other vehicle. Some of these are:
- Customs Merchandise Declaration.
- Purchase invoice with details about the car.
- Passport and driver’s license.
- Documents proving that you have owned the vehicle for over 6 months.
- License for import.
- Bill of Lading.
- Proof of Insurance.
- Receipts of payment for taxes.
There are other limitations governing the import of vehicles to Mongolia. These include:
- No vehicle over 20 years can be imported.
- Left hand driven vehicles allowed for import.
- Used cars can be brought over for personal use.
We advise that it is best to put the documents in order and start processing them as soon as you decide on moving to Darkhan. There are check points after the vehicle clears Chinese customs and is bound for Darkhan. However, laws are updated frequently and it helps to know the latest regulations from the Embassy of Mongolia in USA.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.