The fourth largest city in South Korea, Daegu is situated about 50 miles away from the coast. It is situated on the banks of the River Geumho. A hub of commercial and industrial activities, there are many reasons for people to move here. However, when you are looking to transport your vehicle from USA to Daegu, there are international legalities and import procedures that have to be followed.
That is why it is important to work with an experienced shipping service that understands the nuances of freight shipping vehicles to South Korea. At A1 Auto Transport Company, we have shipped hundreds of vehicles and understand the custom requirements. As English is not an official language nor commonly used, one of our local shipping agent will be there to assist you with the procedures or requirements after the vehicle reaches Daegu.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Eligibility to import vehicle to South Korea.
You need to be staying in Daegu for at least six months before you can get your personal vehicle imported from USA. Though you can import most brand of vehicles, Japanese cars are banned apart from larger vehicles that can seat 10 people are not eligible for import. Additionally, there are other regulations that you will need to adhere to before you discuss shipping details with A1 Auto Transport service. These include:
- You must own the vehicle in USA for at least 3 months before you can import it to Daegu.
- If you are importing it within 6 months of your long-term or permanent move, it is considered as part of the household items and there is no duty.
There is additional documentation that will be required to be submitted at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the time of export from U.S and the South Korean Customs will require when the vehicle reaches Daegu. The documentation includes:
- Purchase invoice with details on the engine/chassis number, make, model and year.
- Owner’s passport and license/Photo ID.
- Bill of Lading.
- Insurance certificate.
- Valid work permit.
Applicable custom duties and import taxes.
Irrespective of whether you have a new car or a used vehicle that you are importing, there are custom duties and taxes that need to be paid before you can get the delivery of the vehicle. Though the taxes are variable, the size of the engine is considered before you will be informed about the tax to be paid. Additionally, if you are importing the vehicle temporarily or it is not a part of the household goods, the vehicle will be put through different tests for noise and vibration examination, emissions and the type and model approvals by the Korea Automobile Test and Research Institute.
It is good to take the photographs of the vehicle from all angles before you ship it. This will ensure that if there is a rare chance that the vehicle has been damaged, you have proof. A1 Auto Transport service offers basic insurance on all shipped vehicles, but if you are shipping an expensive vehicle additional insurance coverage for collateral damage might be a good idea.
Freight shipping methods and cost.
There are two popular methods of shipping your vehicle to Daegu which are:
- RORO: Better termed as Roll-on/Roll-Off, your vehicle is driven on board the freight cargo ship and secured in the bay. As you only pay for parking the vehicle, it is much less than container shipping or air transportation. However, due to being secured on an open deck, your vehicle is not protected from the climatic conditions and pilferage. That is why it is important to adhere to the regulations of only shipping a steam cleaned, empty car.
- Enclosed Cargo Container: Your vehicle is put within a 20 feet or 40 feet container and that is why it is more expensive. However, it turns out to be extremely convenient for those looking to move to South Korea and have additional household goods to ship alongside the vehicle. The added layer of protection helps to minimize damage and theft during transit.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?