The scenic city of Corinth is located in the municipality of Corinth within Peloponnese in Greece. If you intend moving here due to personal or professional reasons, you might want to consider importing your vehicle for easy travel. There are no charges for temporary import for six months, if you intend making an extended stay here. However, you cannot sell your car and nobody else can drive the vehicle apart from your immediate family.
However, when the vehicle arrives in Corinth, you are required to show the insurance proof, title deed and license plates from USA. In case your license plates or registration expires, you are eligible for temporary registration or plates for as long as you stay here.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
For permanent move.
If you are moving here on a long term stay or permanently, the car is considered as part of the household goods so you don’t have to pay any import duty on the vehicle. However, there are some key considerations to be eligible for the exemption for which you can apply at the Greek Customs Department. Some of the eligibility criterion includes:
- are of Greek descent.
- married to a Greek citizen living in Greece or abroad.
- work permit for a permanent job in Greece.
- have stayed for a minimum of over two years abroad and are returning to Greece.
- owned the vehicle for at least six months before importing it to Greece.
However, there is no exemption on VAT and you are required to pay for the license plates and local registration on new or used vehicles. You cannot sell the imported vehicle for at least 12 months or will have to pay full import duty on it. As with any other import, there are a plethora of documents that you have to submit. These include:
- Income tax returns.
- Rent or property ownership documents.
- Past employment proof in USA/other country.
- Utility bills.
- All valid and expired passports of family members relocating to Corinth.
- Vehicle registration details.
- Clear title deed of the vehicle.
- Proof of marriage to Greek citizen/Greek citizenship.
- residence or work permit.
Another essential document that has to be submitted is the AFM card which is necessary to pay tax and operate bank accounts in Greece. Thus, it is important that you apply and get this card before you will be able to take the delivery of the vehicle in Corinth. All imported vehicles are inspected on various aspects and only then released to the owner. These include emission tests, general condition and roadworthiness inspections apart from noise tests. After the vehicle clears these important inspections, you can apply for local registration and license tags.
However, there are different procedures that have to be covered in US before you ship your vehicle, before it reaches Thessaloniki the main port in Greece. That is why it is important to work with an experienced international shipping service, such as A1 Auto Transport service. You will need to consider different shipping methods and select one to ensure that it meets your requirements. These methods include:
- RORO: Better known as Roll-on/Roll-Off method, your vehicle is driven on and off the ship and there are some limitations. You cannot keep any personal belongings, remove air conditioning gas, and keep car jack, spare tires and floor mats.
- Container shipping: The vehicle is put inside 20 feet or 40 feet containers, along with household goods, and sealed. It is loaded by cranes and unloaded the same way. However, it is expensive method to ship your vehicle.
For the latest updates on import laws, current regulations, check with the Embassy of Greece in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory