The largest of Sri Lankan cities and its capital town, Colombo is also the island’s financial centre. Tourists from world over love to come here and it are one of their favorite destinations. Located on the island’s western coast it is adjacent to country’s Legislative Capital. Colombo is also western province’s administrative capital. A vibrant, busy, and modern place, it combines the beauty of colonial era with contemporary architecture. This quaint mix of the old and the new makes it an attractive place for visitors.
If you intend being here for work, to study or are a returning citizen, you need your vehicle. When you wish to ship car to Colombo, it makes sense to do your homework regarding the procedures and the associated requirements. Having A1 Auto Transport service assistance can take away the hindrances from the process.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The most common reason to ship a vehicle involves non-residential Sri Lankan wishing to import car to the country for personal use only. If you are confused about the paperwork, connecting with an experienced international auto transporter like A1 Auto Transport service helps. As with any other shipping and transportation, there is a lot of documents and paperwork that is involved. The main requirements of the Sri Lankan customs department includes
- 6 months minimal Sri Lanka resident visa.
- Vehicle only for use of the license holder and family.
- Vehicle less than 3.5 years old or new.
- Import of the vehicle concurs with the move of vehicle owner.
- Right-hand drive vehicles only.
- Single vehicle import within five years is the maximum limit.
The main documents that you will need to show at the time of import are vehicle owner passport with the copy, driver’s license, vehicles registration, and visa details. You will also need to show documents that proves your Sri Lankan residence. This includes departure, arrival, and staying reasons. Ideally, you should check with Sri Lankan embassy in USA, the authorities or the clearing agents at our company to understand the procedure thoroughly.
There are two broad shipping methods that people select for transporting their personal cars. These include:
- RORO: This is Roll-on/Roll-Off method where the car is driven onboard the freight ship ad driven off at Colombo. It is the most convenient way of sending your vehicle to Colombo. However, as the cars are harnessed onto an open deck, no personal belongings are allowed. You are required to remove the air conditioning gas and leave only a quarter tank of gas.
- Container Shipping: If you are looking to send the car along with other household goods to Colombo, hiring a 20 feet container or 40 feet might suffice. The car is secured from the ravages of weather and secured within the container.
Sri Lankan guidelines.
They will give you the latest information along with related regulations and rules. Some of the basic guidelines are the following,
- You can only import right-handed vehicles.
- No mortgages or associated lease agreement.
- You cannot take it out when traveling outside Sri Lanka.
- Proper vehicle registration number.
- After vehicle clearance you need to register it in the name of the owner within two weeks.
- Applicant cannot use own funds for vehicle purchase.
- You will need to submit all the support documents related to your car.
- Your vehicle need to be completely operative for shipping.
Take care of these rules and regulations to remain on the right side of customs when bringing your car inside Colombo. Upon arrival, you will need to pay the associated taxes and custom fee. For information and the latest changes, it is best to consult the Customs Department of Sri Lanka.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory