There’s no way around the fact that moving is an expensive ordeal. You will be spending money on everything from moving services to moving supplies to hired help. However, you can take comfort knowing that there are certain ways to cut costs and save money during the moving process. Follow the tips outlined in this guide to create a more budget-friendly method of moving.
Find And Use Free Material
You will start to find out that finding free packing material is really not a difficult task at all. Considering that cardboard boxes often start to sell at $2 or more, consider these options instead:
- You can go to your local supermarket or retail store and politely ask for some of their leftover cardboard boxes from previous inventory shipments. As long as you ask ahead of time, most stores will be happy to have the clutter of boxes off of their hands!
- It is always a good idea to visit freecycle.org. You’ll be able to search for free items near your location, and you can narrow down the search to specific items, i.e. packing materials or cardboard boxes. You can also always check the “free stuff” section of craigslist.org as well.
- Start searching around your home for old blankets, towels, and sheets to use as protective padding and cushioning for fragile items and electronic products. This way, you will be able to save money on cushioning material.
Go the DIY Route
If you have the time and resources to do so, moving on your own, as opposed to hiring a moving company to help you, can greatly reduce your moving costs. Maybe you can fit all of your belongings in your car and simply drive to your new location, or maybe you will need to rent a big moving truck. Either way, this will be cheaper than hiring a full team of professional help.
It is also a good idea to consider asking close friends and family for help with packing and moving. They might even be willing to lend a truck for you to transport your items in – but try not to be overly pushy about asking for help.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Sell Unwanted Items
Selling your unwanted items can be a great way to lighten the moving load, and it can earn you a small profit which can help cover some of the expenses of moving. You can gather up your unwanted items and sell them to:
- Second-hand stores
- Online shops, such as eBay and Craigslist
- Flea markets
- Hold a garage sale
Choose Cheaper Moving Dates
While it is easier to move in the summer, this is when rates are highest. Try instead:
- Move between September and June, as truck rental rates are cheaper than
- Also during this time, which is considered the off-season, airfare tickets, hotel rooms, and gas prices are cheaper.
- There will also be fewer people on the road, as everyone usually does their traveling during the months of summer vacation.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?