Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
During your move, one of the main things used is energy. This means both human energy as well as carbon based fuels. Running the moving truck is incredibly energy and resource intensive. Without getting into the debate over the use of fossil fuels, we all can do some things to help the environment. Additionally, this will also save you money on fuel during your move.
Reduce Your Fuel Consumption
Believe it or not, there are many different ways to reduce your carbon footprint and use of fuel. This is something that we should all be interested in doing, whether or not we think it is good for the environment. The bottom line is that you will be able to save money during your move.
You may be renting your own moving truck, or actually hiring a professional moving company. Either way, you can certainly take advantage of some things to limit the amount of your fuel use. Here are some considerations:
- Check the tire pressure: It is very important to make sure your tire pressure is at the correct level. Having too little air can decrease your gas mileage, sometimes significantly. Check these levels at least once a month, but always before a long trip or move.
- Get a tune-up: Keeping your vehicle or moving the truck in top working condition will help ensure everything is more efficient. This can be especially helpful for a long-distance move.
- Slow down: Fuel economy is improved much more by going slower.
- Watch the acceleration: In terms of fuel economy, going easier on the acceleration is very helpful. Gradually increasing and decreasing speed is much better for your fuel economy.
- Check the air filter: Dirty air filters can cause poor vehicle performance. Whenever there is a build-up of dust or dirt, always get this taken care of…and check it regularly.
- Air conditioning: Using the air conditioner while you are driving 45 miles per hour or less is very inefficient for fuel efficiency. Instead, try rolling down the windows.
- Planning the route: Before your move, always sit down and plan out your route. By choosing properly, you can find a path that is the most direct. This will help improve fuel efficiency by requiring fewer stops.
- Shuttle use: Using shuttles or other vehicles that take your things to a different location where the truck is then loaded use a lot of extra fuel. It would like to be cheaper just getting the main truck to your house and load it from there.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
You can also recycle your items so that you are not moving unneeded stuff. In other words, donate those things you no long want or need. Maybe give them away to family or friends, or even give them local charitable groups. The fewer things you are carrying during your move, the more efficient your fuel consumption will be. That will result in better mileage and lower charges from your moving company (those based on mileage and fuel used).