Preparing to Move from the USA to the UK
Moving to another country is a process that should have professional assistance. There is a lot more involved with the moving process if you’re transporting your goods from the USA to the UK. The most stressful part is trying to abide by foreign import policies. Fortunately a mover with international moving services will have knowledge of the laws and how to gain the certificate of import approval from Customs. Although you’ll have to come up with the physical proof required, you’ll have guidance from professionals.
After you hire an international moving company to help you relocate to the United Kingdom, it’s time to start preparing. By creating a list of all that you need to get done, you can stay organized and on top of everything.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Here are some of the things you may want to include on your list…
- If you chose not to purchase full packing services, you may want to start early on. It could take weeks to pack away your belongings and you’ll want to sort through it all first. It’s best to bring along less than it is to bring more. It’ll save you money and make it easier to move. You’ll also need to pack everything according to the mover’s standards as well as the United Kingdom’s import policies.
- Start collecting everything you need for Customs to gain the certificate of import approval for your possessions. This will include various documents as well as proof of paid taxes. Although the movers will help to guide you, it’s always smart to call the British Embassy Washington for current tax rates and import policies.
- Complete all transfers, resignations and contact information updates.
- Start researching your new surroundings online. Find out as much as you can about your neighborhood and the culture of the UK before you leave to live there. Also search for nearby entertainment, food and other places of interest.
- Pack your personal bag. This bag will go with you on your flight to the UK. Make sure you keep money, your ID, credit cards, toiletries, valuables, and important documents with you during relocation. If moving with children, let them pack toys, entertainment and any sentimental items to ease the transition for them a little.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.