Part of the problem with moving—the part that leads people to stress out over actually going through the process—is the fact that the expenses can seem a bit overwhelming. Although moving is not cheap, there are a number of things you can do to help control the expense. Most of these will involve actually knowing what those expenses are, both before and after your move. You want to consider all of these beforehand in order to know exactly what to expect.
Tracking Moving Expenses.
The first thing you want to do is get yourself organized. This means creating a spread sheet or file of some sort where you can actually write down and track all of these expenses. Some people will prefer doing this on the computer, while others will want an actual paper and pencil sheet; either of these methods will work. Make a couple of copies and keep them in places where you will see them each day.
The next step is to actually sit down and think about the expenses that will be incurred as you leave the old apartment or home. Consider all the following:
- Needed repairs before leaving.
- Lease or rental agreement termination fees.
- Final utility bills.
- All other costs that might be associated with leaving or moving.
Doing Your Research.
Now, you need to start looking into various moving companies so that you can determine the amount of expenses that are required during the move. There are a number of different ways to check out and research moving companies, but the bottom line is you need to get at least three solid quotes or estimates. Be sure to add in expenses for insurance and possibly tipping the movers themselves.
During this process, you may decide its just too expensive to hire a full-service moving company. In that case, think about renting a van or box truck and do the move yourself. Be sure to include extra expenses for things like gas and possibly equipment rental (hand trucks, furniture dollies, etc…)
Be sure to include the cost of packing supplies. While this won’t be huge, it is also not going to be insignificant. Estimate how many boxes you will need to pack up all your stuff and also the bubble wrap, tape, peanuts and other cushioning material.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
During The Move.
There will also be things to consider once you hit the road, whether using professional movers or not. This can include gas, food, and maybe even hotels if it will take more than a day to arrive at your new destination. Take a look at the AAA gas calculator for help estimating some of these.
After The Move.
Once you move in there will be even more expenses. Some of these may include:
- Mortgage payments.
- Utilities—turn on charges and ongoing expenses.
- Rent, security deposits.
- Parking permits.
- Any other needed expenses.
Be sure to check out our moving resources and guides along with FREE moving quotes TODAY!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?