Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
You have probably seen the advertisements for moving companies that employ students. They may be ‘starving’ or ‘strong’ college students to appeal to your sense of fairness (giving someone a hand up) or to the fact that they can better handle the physical labor required for loading and unloading a truck. Despite all of these different marketing angles, and the rather amazing success of such companies, there are still both pluses and minuses to consider before using student movers.
First Things First
Obviously, no matter which moving company is under consideration, you need to do your research. This should involve the use of government resources and even the Better Business Bureau. There are also tons of important questions you should be asking your mover, so be sure to follow all of our guidelines.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
- Cost: the general idea of these types of moving companies and services is that they are cheaper than older, more well-established companies. While that may be true, you need to remember that cheaper may not always be better.
- Physical Ability: A number of these companies rely on the strength, endurance, and youth of these young folks. Certainly, younger people in the early twenties are going to be able to lift heavier weights and move at a faster pace compared with older movers. This can be an important advantage since you normally pay based on time and such movers could finish much faster for you.
- Moving Experience: College students have had to move a lot. In and out of their dorm rooms, out of their parents’ house and into the dorm or even another house or apartment. In short, this experience can be a big benefit. They know how to pack, box, and can do this at a good pace.
- Age: While students may have done their fair share of moving in and out, they are still very young and generally inexperienced in terms of life and making choices. This can be seen as a handicap and the main reason why a number of families would rather hire someone more ‘seasoned.’
- Trust: Although this may be more in the eye of the beholder, sometimes students are thought to be less trustworthy. This is especially true in situations where the family may have very expensive items that would need to be handled by the movers, like jewelry or artwork.
- Not Local: This is a big factor since most people would really prefer their movers (as is the case with most service people) lived locally. Students would obviously be seen as only being in the area temporarily.
Once again, this all comes down to your research and personal decision. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to check out all of our moving guides and online resources here.