What To Expect When Moving With A Dog?
Dogs, just like any other pet, are attached to the environment in which they live. If precautions are not taken, moving them from their territory could be distressing for them. They are also bound to be anxious once they get to the new destination. It is therefore, imperative that you take extra care of their move so that the dog adjusts well to the entire process. A professional moving company should be able to help you with this.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-241-3110 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
How best to move your dog
If you want your dog to have a stress-free relocation experience, consider the following tips
- Prepare the dog a week before moving. Let the vet officer advice on what vaccines are required before and after and let them guide you on the appropriate treatment of your dog during transit. Have the vet also give you your dog’s health records.
- If your dog does not usually sleep or spend time in a kennel or any other enclosure, prepare him for the move by having him do so. Let him stay within this enclosure for a few hours and possibly even have him sleep there at night. He may resist at first but as he gets used to it, the resistance will wane. By the time move day comes, this will have become like a second home and he will do just fine.
- Consider the best option for moving your dog. It needs to be the option that affords him the best comfort, that’s the least stressful and that allows for as many stop-overs as possible.
- On arrival, as you unpack, try as much as possible to keep your dog away from the commotion of unpacking. Such an environment is bound to induce stress and he may try to find his way back to the old home. You could keep him a while longer inside his enclosure inside your car or in the backyard.
- Once the unpacking is done, introduce him to the new environment; remember it is his new territory so let him take his time moving around the house. You could also take a walk round the neighborhood and allow him to sniff around as much as he wants. While some dogs adjust rather quickly, others suffer from separation anxiety and may require extra attention for a while.
- Hire the services of a professional pet mover. They will come with invaluable experience and will know how best to handle your animal. Make sure the pet moving company you hire can prove beyond doubt that they have successfully handled these types of move. Check if they are accredited to carry out the business of moving.
Relocation can cause anxiety in a dog which in turn makes it that much harder for it to settle into the new environment. Such a dog may end up trying to go back to its original home. To avoid this from happening, work with professional pet movers. They have the expertise to offer you, and your pet, a stress-free relocation experience.