There will be a lot of work to do on moving day. Hard work. The last thing you probably want to do is be forced into unpacking multiple boxes upon arriving at your destination (if your items even arrive that first night) just to find sheets for the bed, cups, and silverware, and toiletries. The way around all of this hassle and confusion is to pack a first night essentials kit. Here is how to do this…and what to include inside the kit.
Consider Length Of The Move
In some cases, you need to realize that the first night could realistically be several nights or even up to two weeks. Yes, long distance movers are notoriously slow, so this might influence how much to bring in your essentials kit. Oh, and if you are going to your new location by plane, then be sure to include as much of these items as possible in your luggage and ideally the carry-on bag(s).
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Noticeable Container / Box
Chances are that however you move, there will be a number of others boxes or containers with you. Make sure that your essentials box is very noticeable. This could mean using brightly colored tape, or a unique label. Just use something that you will not mistake. Of course, it should also be large enough. In some cases, maybe consider using two boxes.
What To Include
The actual items to include may vary according to the distance covered and the make-up of your family. Think about the following:
- Clothes—Pajamas, possibly, and maybe a change of clothes for the next day for each member of the family. Additional clothes can go in other boxes and will be opened the next day.
- Toiletries—There should be enough of the basics to last at least a few days until your shipment arrives. Make sure to include shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, and whatever else might be needed.
- Shower Curtain—This will come in handy, and avoid making a mess of the bathroom floor in your new location.
- Towels—Along the same lines, having a towel or two will make washing and drying off much easier.
- Toilet Paper—Very easy to overlook. Be sure to include this in order to avoid a mad rush to the convenience store during your first night, often under rushed circumstances.
- Medications—This should include prescription medicines as well as over the counter items. Remember pain medicine and any first aid items that could come in handy.
- Toys—This could keep the kids occupied and feeling more or less comforted, despite being in an unfamiliar location.
- Other Ideas—Consider bringing snacks, cell phone charger, paper plates/forks/napkins, pet food, entertainment/games, night light, blanket, air mattress, take out menus (for restaurants in your new area).
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory