Turks And Caicos International Moving Services
Planning to move to any of the 40 islands in the British Overseas Territory is an exciting idea. The possibility of living in the Turks and Caicos Islands will most likely elicit great expectations. These however, may be dampened if proper planning does not go into preparing for this international move.
Moving to Turks And Caicos Cost & Time Examples
|Boston to Cockburn Harbour||$2,800- $4,900||$5,400- $8,800||3-5 weeks|
|New York to Cockburn Town||$2,900- $4,900||$5,400- $8,800||3-5 weeks|
|Philadelphia to Cockburn Town||$2,900- $5,000||$5,500- $9,100||3-5 weeks|
|Los Angeles to Cockburn Town||$3,200- $5,500||$6,100- $10,100||3-6 weeks|
|Seattle to Cockburn Town||$3,200- $5,500||$6,100- $10,100||3-6 weeks|
|Dallas to Cockburn Town||$3,300- $5,600||$6,300- $10,200||3-5 weeks|
|Memphis to Cockburn Town||$3,700- $6,100||$6,600- $11,100||3-5 weeks|
|Chicago to Cockburn Harbour||$3,800- $6,400||$7,000- $11,600||3-5 weeks|
|Phoenix to Cockburn Town||$4,000- $6,600||$7,300- $12,100||3-6 weeks|
|Denver to Cockburn Town||$5,200- $8,800||$9,600- $15,800||3-6 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
The process of moving from one country to another is often strenuous and time-consuming. You are therefore, best placed to hire the services of a professional firm that offers international moving services and one that will also handle shipping of cars.
The duties when shipping household items
To be granted duty exemption on your household belongings, you must fulfill some specific conditions. First, your shipment must arrive no later than six months after you enter the country. Second, you must have purchased these goods at least one year ago, and been personally using them during this term (1). Another trusted source says that only six months is required instead – so you’re advised to speak with customs regarding this question.
The third requirement to obtain duty exemption, is living outside of Turks and Caicos for at least the last year. Finally, if you receive exemption – then you aren’t permitted to sell or get rid of these items for your first year in the country (2).
Residence and Work Permits
You should also bear in mind that a Work Permit or Residence Permit may be necessary to receive exemption. A Work Permit can only be obtained, if the Immigration Board decides that your type of employment can’t be accomplished by available citizens within the country at the time (3).
Duty Rate and Other Fees
Also, certain goods can’t be imported without paying duty, such as alcohol, tobacco and food. The full duty rate is 30% for the majority of household items, but it may differ for particular categories. Finally, even duty-free shipments will be charged a CPF (Customs Processing Fee) of 7.5% (4).
The paperwork when shipping household items
You must show a valid Work Permit, Residence Permit or other documentation establishing residency within Turks and Caicos. Your passport, a TCI Customs Import Entry form and receipts for any new goods are also required. In order to have duty waived on your shipment, a Letter of Exemption from the Turks and Caicos customs department is also necessary. The Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill for your shipment and a full inventory (with monetary values included) should be submitted as well (5). A separate packing list and a Power of Attorney (if a third party will work with customs as your representative) are also mandatory documentation (6).
The duties when shipping a vehicle
No duty exemption exists for vehicle imports, and you will pay the full rate. This currently stands at between 25% and 45%, depending upon the size of your vehicle’s engine (7). This is charged on either the CIF value or just the value of the vehicle plus shipping (depending upon which source you consult) (8). Whether this includes the Customs Processing Fee isn’t clear – so you should contact them for an in-depth explanation (9).
The paperwork when shipping a vehicle
If you wish to import a vehicle into Turks and Caicos, you’ll need the Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill for the shipment. The vehicle’s purchase receipt and title are also required (10). Your driver’s license and the registration for the vehicle (from your origin country) must be presented as well. Be aware that your OBL should list your vehicle’s make, model, chassis number, engine size, year and engine number (11).
Since this discussion isn’t a full overview of the regulations and paperwork requirements you’ll face – you should talk to customs before shipping your goods. They will be able to provide you with the latest information, and advise you of any specific hurdles to prepare for during clhttps://customs.gov.tc/contactus.jsp
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Research: Before you look for Turks and Caicos International Moving Services, search the internet to learn more about your preferred destination. This includes the local culture, practices, and languages. Also, reach out to friends and family who live there or have been there before. Make sure you to get as much information as possible.
- Documents: As a US national, you do not need a visa when moving to Turks and Caicos. However, you will need a residence permit that you can apply through their immigration department’s website. Also, ensure that you apply for a passport through the US Government.
- Start early: There is nothing as frustrating and time-consuming as a last minute rush. To avoid such, start your preparations about 90 days to the day of moving. Certainly, this will give you enough time to get everything in order. Also, it will help you not to miss out on anything needed.
- Budget: Moving abroad is quite expensive. Undoubtedly, by the time you settle at your destination, you will have spent quite a bit of money. It is therefore, important to come up with a budget and stick to it while also cutting down costs by avoiding impulse buying. It is also a good idea to apply for a job to help you meet your expenses while abroad.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
So much time and energy is required when moving abroad and there are also a lot of risks involved. If the task is not handled professionally, there is the possibility of damage and loss of belongings. It is for these reasons, and more, that most people opt to hire professional international movers. These come with the requisite equipment and personnel needed for the job. Also, they will ensure that your household goods are handled with care, and will arrive safely at your destination.
How to find the best international moving company
When looking for Turks and Caicos International Moving Services, start by searching the internet. Also, seek recommendations from friends and family. Next, write down a list of a few companies. While selecting your preferred mover, do consider the following:
- Ensure that you choose a company that is licensed and has insurance that covers for damages on belongings during transit.
- Ensure that you settle for a company that offers packing services. Indeed, this saves you a lot of time.
- Read customer reviews on the companies’ websites. The more the positive reviews compared to negative ones, the better the company.
- Settle for a company that has achieved high service standards by attaining accreditations.
Our Turks and Caicos International Moving Services
We offer the following:
- Packing/unpacking: We help in packing and unpacking your valuables to and from our transport facilities.
- Corporate moving: We handle the moving of offices and businesses.
- Apartment moves: We also handle international moving between rental apartments.
- Planning and preparation: We offer important information regarding international moving. Such includes how to package your belongings ready for the day of moving.
- Immigration services: We will guide you on documents needed in order to meet Turks and Caicos immigration requirements.
- Housing assistance: We will help you find suitable housing.
- Family services: We will also help you find family services such as schools and health centers.
- Auto transport: We handle the international shipping of cars.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
We have been operating for more than 30 years. In fact, we have helped thousands of people to move abroad. Indeed, our vast knowledge and resources are all that you need when looking for expert information on international moving. We assure you that if you have any questions regarding moving abroad, we definitely have the answers.
Get in touch!
If you have plans to move to Turks and Caicos, kindly contact our experts on our toll-free number 888-509-3213. Also, do not forget to fill-in the form at the top of this page to get free estimates of our services.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Turks and Caicos” page.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Turks and Caicos” page.
- -Duty is charged on the value of the vehicle plus freight and insurance (CIF), according to:
-Duty is charged just on the value of the vehicle plus freight (insurance isn’t included), according to:
Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Turks and Caicos” page
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Turks and Caicos” page
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - email@example.com