- Importing Household Goods
- Can I Bring My Pets?
- Is It Worth It To Bring My Vehicle To Sweden?
- We Are Here To Help
Home of Abba and IKEA, Sweden has a rich cultural heritage and amazing green spaces. The country is deeply committed to preserving their environment, which is evident in their prioritization of clean public transport and organic food production.
If you’re moving from South Africa to Sweden, you have a lot of decisions to make. You will have to decide how to transport your belongings. Air, sea and land options are available. Air is the quickest and most expensive option, and shipments via container are the slowest and least expensive. Working with a shipping company like A-1 Auto Transport will help you find the best option for you and your family.
This guide will give you a high-level overview of what you need to know to move from South Africa to Sweden.
Importing Household Goods
In order to import your household goods to Sweden duty free, you must provide proof of a registered domicile in Sweden. In order to be eligible, you must have lived outside Sweden for at least one year, and the items you import must be your personal items that you have owned and used for at least one year prior to your move to Sweden.
You are required to be present in Sweden for your goods to pass through customs. If your belongings do arrive before you, your goods will be stored and bonded at a warehouse at your expense until your arrival.
- Official Passport - copy
- Proof of a Registered Domicile in Sweden
- Original copies of Bill of Lading/Air Waybill
- A detailed, by box, inventory of all goods being imported. Be prepared with multiple copies of this documentation. (Improper or lost documentation will result in delays and possibly, additional fees)
- Power of Attorney –for the Swedish Destination Agent to facilitate your customs clearance processing
- Original copies of Customs Form TV 740.41 or 42
Can I Bring my Pets?
Sweden will allow you to import your pets, but you will need to meet stringent requirements for vaccinations and quarantine. All cats and dogs imported to Sweden must be quarantined in a government-sanctioned facility for 4-6 months and be approved for importation by the Department of Agriculture. No more than 5 pets are permitted.
You must be prepared to show the following documentation:
- Current certificate of vaccination (These may differ depending on the type of animal you are importing but should definitely include a rabies vaccine with antibody titer.)
- Health certificate from an examination by a veterinarian within ten days of your arrival in Sweden.
- Import license from the Department of Agriculture
- Microchip or legible tattoo
Is it Worth it to Bring my Vehicle to Sweden?
It can be very expensive to import a vehicle to Sweden, so your decision to import your vehicle will depend on how much it is worth to you to keep it. If you are importing your vehicle on your own, it can be difficult to predict what taxes you will need to pay. Working with a shipper can help you avoid unpleasant surprises.
If you do decide to import your vehicle to Sweden, here is what you need to know:
Before your vehicle leaves South Africa, it must have been carefully cleaned to ensure removal of foreign soil. It may sound ridiculous, but most countries take this seriously. Microorganisms and invasive plants and animals may lurk inside that can have terrible environmental consequences.
Your vehicle must have been owned and used by you, in your country of origin, for at least 12 months prior to your import to Sweden. You may import one vehicle per-person and you will not be permitted to sell, lend, trade, rent, or otherwise dispose of the vehicle for at least one year after your arrival in country.
In addition, you will need to reach out to your local Swedish embassy or customs officials in order to receive accurate guidance regarding your vehicle’s catalytic converter, as well as any environmental fees to be paid.
For customs clearance, you will need to provide the following documentation:
- Certificate of title and registration without liens or other encumbrances. Your vehicle will need to be wholly owned by you for at least six months before your move.
- Purchase invoice to show proof or purchase, with price and date of sale.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance policy from your country of origin
- Interim insurance certificate from a Swedish insurance company
- Customs declaration form – this form is separate from the form for your household goods
We are Here to Help
At A-1 Auto Transport, we have the expertise to navigate international import rules with ease. Our team of shipping experts will help you evaluate your options, complete the necessary paperwork, manage logistics, and breeze through customs. Give us a call today for your free, no-obligation shipping quote.