- South Sudan International Moving Services
- Moving To South Sudan Cost & Time Examples
- Import Duty For Your Household Goods
- Personal Income Tax
- Excise Tax/Duty
- Sales Tax
- Customs Duties And Fees
- Import Duty For Your Vehicle
- Tips On How To Make Your International Move Easier
- Why You Need A Professional Moving Company When Relocating Overseas
- How To Find The Best International Moving Company
- Our South Sudan International Moving Services
- Why A-1 Auto Transport?
- Get In Touch!
South Sudan International Moving Services
An individual may move to a different county so as to advance their career or education, or to experience the adventure of being in a different region. Companies can also move to a different country as they seek better business environments or to have lower operating costs. When they make such moves, they also transport their goods and this is called international moving. Reputable movers seek to meet this need by offering international moving services.
Moving to South Sudan Cost & Time Examples
|New York to Juba||$4,600- $7,700||$8,700- $14,200||5-8 weeks|
|Jacksonville to Juba||$4,900- $8,200||$9,100- $15,000||5-8 weeks|
|Detroit to Juba||$5,000- $8,300||$9,400- $15,400||5-8 weeks|
|Dallas to Juba||$5,100- $8,500||$9,500- $15,600||5-8 weeks|
|San Jose to Juba||$5,100- $8,600||$9,700- $16,000||6-10 weeks|
|Memphis to Juba||$5,400- $9,000||$10,000- $16,400||5-8 weeks|
|Chicago to Juba||$5,600- $9,200||$10,400- $17,100||5-8 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Juba||$5,600- $9,400||$10,600- $17,400||6-10 weeks|
|Phoenix to Juba||$5,900- $9,700||$10,900- $17,900||6-10 weeks|
|Denver to Juba||$7,200- $11,900||$13,200- $21,700||6-10 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
They make it easy to transport your items overseas, including shipping your car to South Sudan.
Import duty for your household goods
Having just become an independent nation in 2011, South Sudan is the newest country in the world to garner broad support of its statehood status. This is relevant when discussing the customs procedures of South Sudan - as these can be characterized as still under development.
In fact, an outside agency has been working with the South Sudanese government to create a consistent and competent customs department, having trained more than 2,000 staff. They’ve also helped to expand funds collected by customs to over five times previous levels.
Due to the recent founding of customs and the evolving nature of its procedures and enforcement - accurate information about the duties you’ll pay for household goods is somewhat difficult to procure. The Taxation Act, 2009 set forth the basic regulations, but this has been amended at least twice (in 2012 and 2016). It has now been replaced in part by the Financial Act, 2017/18
Personal Income Tax
Per both the Taxation Act, 2009 and the Financial Act, 2017/18 - if you’re planning to become a permanent resident, then the personal income tax typically charged on used household goods won’t be due in advance. Whether you’ll still have to pay this tax later isn’t specified.
Keep in mind that this exemption applies to the personal income tax usually levied on these items. Since personal income tax is typically incurred on your annual earnings (not imported goods), and most countries use an import tax or duty instead - this policy is confusing to say the least. If you do end up having to pay this fee, it currently stands at a rate of just 4%.
No exemption for excise tax (sometimes referred to as excise duty) is provided, save for UN agencies, donors or diplomatic missions.
Customs levies sales tax on imported goods, and this seems to apply even to used personal belongings. If imposed on your shipment, then you’ll pay either 18% or 20%, which will be charged on the combined value of the goods plus import duty and excise tax.
Customs Duties and Fees
It seems that in addition to all of the costs already covered, additional customs duties and fees will be incurred. Though there are many exemptions available, only two could apply to personal household goods. First, your personal baggage is exempted. This normally doesn’t cover an entire shipment, only your luggage.
The second possible exemption is for any articles imported into the country by a South Sudanese resident. These items must be for your own personal convenience and use. To be eligible, you must already have residence status.
If you aren’t eligible to have duty waived, then the rate you’ll pay varies based on the type of good being imported. The full list is laid out in Schedule 2 of the Financial Act, 2017/18. To give you an idea of the duties charged for common items - furniture, most clothing, watches and clocks, toys, art and glasswork are all charged 10% import duty (as of the 2017 - 2018 regulations).
Import duty for your vehicle
All of the same costs covered above will apply, when shipping your vehicle to South Sudan. However, the rate jumps to 20% for motor vehicles made to transport people. Whether this is classified as the excise tax or import duty isn’t clear. In addition to the excise tax, import duty, sales tax and possibly the personal income tax (depending on whether you’re exempt) - other fees will be charged.
According to Schedule 5 (National Bureau of Standards) in the Financial Act, 2017/18 - small cars incur a fee of 1,000 South Sudanese pounds (SSP). This is equivalent to $7.68 USD currently. Schedule 18 (Ministry of Transport) lists a GoSS vehicle licensing fee of 5,000 SSP and a fee of 2,000 SSP for renewal/inspection. Schedule 21 (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation) lays out a 500 SSP charge to register the vehicle.
You should note that certain fees like excise tax, personal income tax and/or customs duties may only apply to commercial importers or businesses. The current law is written in such a way, as to be unclear on this point in several places. In addition, reliable information about the documents you’ll need to import household goods or a vehicle isn’t forthcoming. For all of these reasons, you’re urged to discuss your upcoming move with customs, prior to shipping your belongings to South Sudan.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
Relocation can be made easier by applying the following tips:
- Research on the shipping process and requirements. You can refer to the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) website and other useful agencies.
- Pack your goods using options such as boxing and crating to enable the mover handle your items with ease.
- Prepare your paperwork in advance and present them for processing when you are required to provide them.
- Get a reliable mover who can help you in making your move easier.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
When moving overseas, there are many details that you need to look into and you also have to ensure that all activities run smoothly. You may not be entirely familiar with the shipping processes and the tasks that need to be undertake, from start to finish. You will therefore, need the services of a moving company that offers you reliable services and guarantees timely and reliable delivery of your household goods, car, commercial equipment or office inventory. Seeking the services of an international mover who provides South Sudan International Moving Services will give you the chance to have a hassle-free move.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-241-3110 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
How to find the best international moving company
To have a successful move, you need to hire the best international moving company. The following are some factors that you may look into when looking for the best international moving company:
- Does the company have the relevant credentials such as the America Moving and Storage Association membership number, BBB certificate, FMCSA and USDOT numbers.
- Does the company possess the license to provide South Sudan International Moving Services?
- Is the moving company well versed with all the shipping regulations and customs procedures?
Our South Sudan international moving services
- Packing/unpacking: You do not have to strain yourself when we can assist you to pack and unpack.
- Commercial moving: You can ship your commercial goods with ease and get straight to business once we deliver your property.
- Office moves: We ship your office inventory safely, reliably and in good time.
- Apartment moves: We can make your move from your apartment to the new apartment hassle-free.
- Planning and preparation: Moving to South Sudan involves a lot of planning. The country is landlocked and you need to put this into consideration when shipping your goods. We can help you to make the plans for a move that will be less complex.
- Visa and immigration services: Preparing your paperwork need not be a hectic experience and we help you to prepare and process your travel documents.
- Housing assistance: We offer you with the assistance you need once you are in South Sudan, including housing assistance.
- Family services: We make the move easy for you and your family, with tailored services to cater to your needs.
- Auto transport services: While the import costs may be higher due to the larger tax percentage, it is more advantageous for you to have your car while you are in South Sudan. Shipping your car to South Sudan is very possible and we offer you with reliable transportation options.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
A-1 Auto Transport is your go-to moving company whenever you are moving overseas. We make it possible for you to ship your items in the most reliable, secure and affordable way possible. We keep our promise to give our clients top-notch services as our testimonials page can attest. It is for this reason that our former clients refer other potential clients to us. If you are seeking South Sudan International Moving Services, look no further. We also have the facilities to handle your belongings and professional, well-trained staff who will attend to your needs in the most reliable way.
Get in Touch!
We would appreciate it if you could fill-out the form at the top of the page. We would also love for you to get in touch. You can reach us on 888-241-3110.