Somalia International Moving Services
Various people or companies may have interests in a different country and would want to move there. To do so, they would need to engage in a process known as international moving or relocation which is a rather long and detailed process. There are international movers who make this process easier by providing international moving services. In case you are planning to travel to Somalia for a long or short stay, you may need your car for ease of transport.
Moving to Somalia Cost & Time Examples
|Philadelphia to Berbera||$4,000- $6,700||$7,600- $12,400||5-8 weeks|
|Charlotte to Hargeisa||$4,200- $7,100||$8,100- $13,200||4-8 weeks|
|Miami to Mogadishu||$4,400- $7,300||$8,200- $13,600||5-8 weeks|
|NY to Mogadishu||$4,400- $7,300||$8,200- $13,600||5-8 weeks|
|Los Angeles to Berbera||$4,500- $7,400||$8,500- $14,000||5-9 weeks|
|Memphis to Hargeisa||$4,600- $7,700||$8,700- $14,200||4-8 weeks|
|Dallas to Mogadishu||$4,900- $8,100||$9,100- $15,000||5-8 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Hargeisa||$4,900- $8,100||$9,200- $15,100||5-9 weeks|
|Seattle to Mogadishu||$4,900- $8,200||$9,200- $15,300||6-10 weeks|
|Portland to Mogadishu||$5,100- $8,600||$9,700- $15,900||6-10 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
A reliable mover can also assist you ship your car to Somalia.
Import duty for household items and vehicles
Somalia has struggled to rebuild itself as a nation, due to a long-running civil war that began in the late 80’s to early 90’s. According to a reputable source, this war is still classified as ongoing today - though the country has made great strides towards stability.
Although steps to restore a centralized government have been taken for roughly the last twenty years or so, the Federal Government of Somalia was only founded just 7 years ago (1). What does all of this mean for you, when planning to import household goods or ship a vehicle to Somalia?
A Patchwork of Government Control
The Federal Government of Somalia still has a tenuous grasp on the nation, with both seaports and airports being reportedly regulated by state or local governments instead (2). There are a total of six states in the country - which are further broken up into 18 administrative regions. These regions are then separated into smaller districts (3).
With uneven enforcement and local regions of authority, this creates a patchwork of varying rules and standards - which change depending on the specific point of entry you choose. Therefore, the import duties and taxes you’ll pay will likely vary as well.
Taxes and Fees
Another source that collates import information for humanitarian work and organizations, confirms that regulations are spotty at best. That being said, they report that you can expect to pay a stamp duty, local government tax and service charge. A sales tax may apply to your shipments as well (4).
Additional costs could also be incurred, such as vehicle handling, security or storage fees. However, these may be quite reasonable. For instance, vehicle handling at the port of Mogadishu ranges from just $35 to $150 (depending on weight) (5).
Consult the Local Authorities
Whether the above taxes and fees will pertain to your particular shipment of household goods or a vehicle isn’t clear. For this reason, speaking with the authorities in charge of the specific airport or seaport you intend to use is important, due to differing regulations from place to place.
You can also consult the Ministry of Finance (which is in charge of customs) in the capital city of Mogadishu. They may be able to provide the contact information for your chosen point of entry.
Import documents for household items and vehicles
Though there doesn’t appear to be a cohesive set of regulations for the entire country (or it isn’t universally enforced) - it’s safe to assume that some documentation will still be needed. Unfortunately, details about the paperwork required for personal household belongings aren’t available.
In terms of a vehicle import, you’ll likely need the Original Bill of Lading and a full packing list. The purchase receipt for the vehicle and your passport may also be necessary documentation. You may have to provide the VIN, a valid Import Permit and the owner’s manual for the vehicle as well (6).
This list isn’t comprehensive, and these regulations are far from certain. Consequently, the same advice given above applies - you should contact the local point of entry, to determine their specific paperwork requirements.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Know the requirements of making a move to the country and also research the documents that are expected for processing by the customs department and the Somalia Embassy. The shipping policies may change frequently and you therefore need to get up-to-date information.
- Plan for your move properly and also plan in advance. This will help you to have an easy moving day and an easier time settling in the destination country.
- Seek the services of an experienced mover who can assist you to make the relocation process as easy as can be and offer you top-notch Somalia International Moving Services.
- When making a corporate relocation, look for a reliable mover who can ship your equipment and office inventory safely and in good time. It is also good to find temporary housing for your employees and assist them to settle well.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
Moving to Somalia is a detailed process and you need to prepare your documents and your belongings by your moving date. Upon arrival, you also need to unpack your goods and settle down. Doing all of these activities may be too much for you. Therefore, it is advisable to hire the services of a professional moving company. The mover will have sufficient knowledge on the shipping process, whereas you may have limited know-how.
How to find the best international moving company
When making an international move, you need to seek services from the best international moving company. The following are some of the characteristics of such a company:
- It is licensed to provide Somalia International Moving Services.
- It is forthright and transparent. You get updates on your shipping and you are not charged any hidden costs.
- It is experienced. The mover that you are considering should handle frequent shipments to your travel destination. They should also be familiar with the shipping regulations and capable of guiding you.
Our Somalia international moving services
- Packing/unpacking: We go out of our way to ensure that the move is hassle-free for you.
- Commercial moving: We help you to start operations at the Horn of Africa.
- Office moves: Ship your office inventory with us in the most reliable way.
- Apartment moves: We make the move from your home here to the one in Somalia effortless.
- Planning and preparation: We know that planning is important for you to have a successful relocation and we help you to plan for each step.
- Visa and immigration services: We assist you in the process of gaining entry into Somalia.
- Housing assistance: We help you to settle easily and offer you with the much-needed housing assistance.
- Family services: We make the move less of a hassle for you and offer you with reliable and convenient services.
- Auto transport services: There are many benefits of shipping your car to Somalia. We enable you to ship your car affordably
Why A-1 Auto Transport Inc?
We make moving an easy experience for you. Our expertise and knowledge on shipping to various destinations, Somalia included, assures you that you are with the right company. We also have a professional team which is ready to offer you outstanding support. We know that cost is a big factor and that is why we are forthright in our dealings and offer you a free quote that has no obligations attached to it. We do our best to meet the needs of clients and act on their requests with the utmost importance. You can check the testimonials from previous clients who were impressed by us.
Make the right move!
Make the right move and call us on 888-509-3213 so as to get started. Also, please fill-out the form at the top of the page. We look forward to helping you to make the move a successful one. We are available round the clock to answer any question you may have on our Somalia International Moving Services.
(2) Found on InterNations “A Comprehensive Guide to Moving to Somalia” page.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - email@example.com