- What are the requirements to import household goods to Singapore?
- Do I have to pay taxes when importing goods to Singapore?
- What are the requirements to import a vehicle?
- What documents are required for my vehicle?
- The Easiest Way to Import Your Vehicle? Hire A Shipping Company
Singapore is the crown jewel of Southeast Asia, an island nation of 5.7 million people. If you are moving from the UK to Singapore, you may be wondering what you can bring with you. Can you import a vehicle into the country? Is it even affordable?
When it comes to moving to Singapore, there are several factors to consider. This guide will help you decide what to move and how, making your transition a smooth and easy process.
What are the requirements to import household goods to Singapore?
- Your passport
- Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill
- Declaration of Facts form
- Supplementary Customs Declaration
- Residence Permit and/or Visa
- Employment Pass
- Detailed Inventory of Your Goods
- Proof of Employment (by way of a letter from your employer in Singapore)
Do I have to pay taxes when importing goods to Singapore?
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is owed for goods that are not subject to duty. The items declared at customs will be used to determine how much GST is owed. If you are seeking to be exempt from taxation, you will need to complete a Goods and Services Tax Relief form.
Customs does extend duty exemption if your household goods meet the following three criteria.
- Proof that you have owned the items longer than three months.
- The items must be ones you have personally been using.
- The items must be imported to Singapore within six months of your move to the country.
Documentation will be required to prove these three criteria have been met. It is important to note that customs and law enforcement in Singapore are very strict and penalties for falsifying paperwork can lead to fines or even jail time.
What are the requirements to import a vehicle?
The fees for shipping a vehicle to Singapore are unfortunately very high, and the government offers very few, if any, exemptions for vehicle imports. The prevailing guidance seems to discourage importing a vehicle to the country, and the stringent requirements, laborious process, and onerous fees support this goal.
In addition, only right-hand drive vehicles are allowed into Singapore. Here, citizens of the UK have an advantage. In addition, vehicles over 3 years old (from their date of manufacture) are not permitted to be imported to the country at all. You will also be asked to provide a Certificate of Compliance, confirming that your vehicle meets their emissions standards.
What documents are required for my vehicle?
- Proof of insurance
- Data card for the vehicle
- Paperwork showing when the vehicle was manufactured
- VIN Number and Odometer Reading
- Documentation showing what you paid for shipping and freight insurance
- Receipt for purchase of your vehicle
- Vehicle registration
- Inward Declaration Permit
- Receipt showing duty paid
- Temporary Certificate of Entitlement
Customs clearance is incredibly complex and additional requirements not covered here will almost certainly apply. For this reason, you should always contact customs to receive up to date guidance before you even begin the process.
The Easiest Way to Import Your Vehicle? Hire A Shipping Company
Singapore has incredibly complex rules and regulations for imports but you don’t have to go it alone. At A-1 Auto Transport, we understand how overwhelming it can be to handle the complex requirements for shipping a vehicle or moving overseas. A-1 Auto Transport has an experienced team of international shipping experts ready to make your import or export easy and painless.
If you’re planning to ship a vehicle from the UK to Singapore, look no further than A-1 Auto Transport. Complete the form at the top of this page to receive a free overseas shipping quote. You can also get in contact with our international shipping specialists or give us a call. We’ll walk you through your options for overseas vehicle transport and assist you with all the paperwork, helping you achieve a carefree moving experience.