- Portugal International Moving Services
- Moving To Portugal Cost & Time Examples
- Your Household Items And Import Duty
- Your Household Items And Import Paperwork
- Your Vehicle And Import Duty
- Your Vehicle And Import Paperwork
- Tips On How To Make Your International Move Easier For Portuguese Visa
- Packing And Preparation
- Documents Like Private Health Insurance, Residence Permit, Etc
- Visit And Communicate With Local Portuguese Citizen
- Why You Need A Professional Moving Company
- How To Find The Best International Moving Company
- Our International Moving Services
- Why A-1 Auto Transport?
- Make The Switch!
- Other Services
- Popular Moving Destinations
Portugal International Moving Services
Planning to switch and move to Portugal? Sure, international moving to Portugal is exciting but also very challenging. First, you have to deal with customs and immigration departments to get Portuguese visas. It will also, take up a lot of your time not forgetting how mentally and physically straining it is while moving to Portugal. For this reason, you will need a professional when looking for Portugal International Moving Services.
Moving to Portugal Cost & Time Examples
|Miami to Lisbon||$3,700- $5,100||$6,900- $9,400||4-6 weeks|
|New York to Porto||$3,700- $5,100||$6,900- $9,400||4-6 weeks|
|Charlotte to Porto||$4,200- $5,800||$7,700- $10,400||4-6 weeks|
|Dallas to Lisbon||$4,200- $5,900||$7,800- $10,600||4-6 weeks|
|LA to Braga||$4,400- $6,000||$8,200- $11,200||5-7 weeks|
|Seattle to Lisbon||$4,400- $6,000||$8,200- $11,200||5-7 weeks|
|Memphis to Lisbon||$4,600- $6,300||$8,500- $11,400||4-6 weeks|
|Portland to Lisbon||$4,600- $6,400||$8,700- $11,800||5-7 weeks|
|Indianapolis to Braga||$4,700- $6,500||$8,800- $11,900||4-6 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Porto||$5,000- $6,800||$9,200- $12,600||5-7 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include portuguese government taxes, customs fees & duties, private health insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size):
1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs
2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs
3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs
4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs
5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Your household items and import duty
Portuguese customs allows you to bring household goods into Portuguese cities without paying duty, if you purchased them a minimum of six months ago. You’re also required to have personally used them during this time, and to import them no later than six months after you enter the country (1).
Another source asserts that you have just 90 days after entry to import goods instead. It goes on to say that import must take place no later than 120 days after obtaining the required Certificado de Bagagem (which translates as Luggage Certificate). Any duty-free belongings brought while moving to Portugal also can’t leave the country for the first 12 months after entry. Customs also requires that your goods be in keeping with your perceived socioeconomic status (it appears that very high-end items would raise red flags for middle-class customers, for example) (2).
Your household items and import paperwork
Be prepared to hand in your passport and an inventory that lists values for your items. This inventory should bear your signature and the date, be written in Portuguese and be stamped by the consulate in your origin country. Your passport and the Certificado de Bagagem (which you’ll also obtain from the consulate in your home country) mentioned above are also required.
Paperwork showing you’re permitted to live in the country (Atestado do Residençia) and a Declaration of Ownership for your goods are also needed. A Work Permit, deed of ownership for a residence within Portugal or a Permanent Residence Permit should be presented as well (3). A valid tax card (Cartão de Contribuinte) and an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number also must be obtained. It seems that a Certificado de Residençia from the consulate in your origin nation is necessary too (4). Your residence permit should be valid and authorized by the Portuguese government.
Your vehicle and import duty
Unfortunately, permanent vehicle imports have duty and tax levied upon them - and one solid source reports that these charges are substantial. The exact rate you’ll pay is dependent on the engine displacement, year of manufacture, make and model. If the prospect of expensive import duties doesn’t dissuade you, be aware that customs requires a six month history of ownership for all vehicle imports (5).
Customs does permit temporary imports to skirt duties and taxes, making this a much more attractive option. You can keep the vehicle in Portugal for up to six months, after which time it must be exported out of the country (or permanent importation must be carried out) (6).
Your vehicle and import paperwork
Customs will want to see the vehicle’s title and registration while you move to Portugal, which were issued in the origin country. Your international driver’s license, health insurance policy and purchase receipt should be submitted as well. A valid passport, visa and Import License are also necessary documentation (7). When importing a vehicle into Portugal, inspection records are also required (8).
This concludes our discussion of the ins and outs involved when shipping your belongings to Portugal. While you now have a good picture of what to expect while moving to Portugal, only customs can give you an exhaustive list of the requirements you’ll face.
Consequently, consulting them before moving to Portugal is your best course of action, to ensure that you don’t make any costly oversights and also get the best tax benefits.
Tips on how to make your international move easier for Portuguese VISA
Packing and preparation
Start your preparations early to avoid unnecessary delays while moving to Portugal. In fact, most shipping companies recommend that you begin the whole process of moving to Portugal about three months to the day of moving. Indeed, this will give you enough time to attend to issues that take time such as applying for a visa and a passport. If required, you may also need Portuguese citizenship certificate.
As you do your packing, a few things should be kept in mind. Go through your items and arrange them according to size to save on space while moving to Portugal. Use larger boxes to pack light valuables and smaller ones to accommodate heavy belongings. This way, no box will be crushed during transit to western Europe.
Documents like Private Health Insurance, Residence Permit, etc.
Ensure that you apply for a Portuguese visa and passport as per the Portuguese law. You will only be required to apply for a longer-stay visa if you are planning to stay in Portugal for more than three months.
This is because the nation is party to the Schengen Agreement that gives this exception to US citizens. No need to get Portuguese residence permit or residence visa if you are on a short visit as you are not going to be a permanent residence citizen. Hence, no need of a residence visa. You should get a health insurance or a private medical insurance.
Visit and Communicate with Local Portuguese Citizen
If possible, make arrangements to visit your preferred location in Portugal. While at it, familiarize/yourself with the local portuguese culture, practices, languages, delicious food, living costs, rules, and regulations.
Also, engage with the local Portuguese people to get as much information as possible and try to learn Portuguese language. Be sure to also tour different places and locate shopping centers, local authorities, and other vital service providers.
You can take help of the local Portuguese consulate to get familiar with the rules and regulations. The living costs are not very high and you can easily roam around the Portuguese beaches to enjoy natural beauty. If you speak Portuguese, it's an added advantage to communicate easily with Portuguese citizens.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally to your temporary residence in the new country. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services in a European country.
Why you need a professional moving company
If left to handle it on your own, international moving can be very daunting. You may take months just to get prepared and may experience delays with custom departments to move to Portugal at your temporary residence.
However, if you hire professional movers, your transition will be stress-free. Indeed, they have the right tools and required expertise to handle the task while you move to Portugal. In fact, it will be very unlikely to damage or lose your valuables while visiting Portugal.
Your belongings will also be delivered safely and in a fast and efficient manner when you enter Portugal. Consequently, this will save you time and valuable resources so that you can enjoy the city life.
How to find the best international moving company
When you begin your search for Portugal International Moving Services, you will have a variety of options showing Portugal costs for moving there. To ensure that you get the best investment program, kindly consider the following:
- Settle for a company that is licensed and that has insurance that covers damages on goods during transit.
- Choose a company associated with the highest service standards attained through accreditations. This way, you will experience superior service.
- Compare different estimates and settle for a mover that can provide quality service at the most affordable rate.
- Read customer reviews online and check Facebook groups to see the comments and experiences of others. This will help you to make a better choice.
Our international moving services
Catered for in our Portugal International Moving Services are the following:
- Packing/unpacking: We will ensure you are professionally packed, ready to go and see to it that everything is unboxed and in place once we get to Portugal. We will guide you about the essential Portuguese items as well.
- Corporate moves: We will help to relocate your office or business.
- Apartment moves: We will handle your switch between apartments.
- Planning and preparation: We offer useful information that you will need before moving. It includes how to pack your belongings prior to your Portugal confirmation and departure.
- Housing assistance: We will assist you to find a suitable house in a city centre.
- Family services: We will also assist your family locate essential service providers such as health centers or to open a bank account. You can also count on us to guide you about the best international schools, real estate office, job market, family doctor, private schools, online business, healthcare system, property market, elementary Portuguese studies, golden visa program, and other services.
- Visa and immigration services: We will offer a helping hand as you seek these services. We can help you in applying for permanent resident or employment visa at the minimum wage.
- Auto transport: There is nowhere in the world that we cannot ship your car.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
We have helped thousands of clients to relocate abroad to big cities. Indeed, we have over 30 years’ experience in international moving. As a result, we have been recognized as a reputable firm in international relocation.
So, whether you want to retire abroad or are looking for a change of environment, we will be there for you. Rest assured that we will provide you with all the information and resources you need for a successful move. We offer special discounts for american citizens.
Make the switch!
Do you feel that it is time to move to Portugal? Kindly get in-touch with us by calling our experts on our toll-free line 888-509-3213. You can also get free estimates by filling out your details in the form at the starting point of this page.
Popular Moving Destinations
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Portugal” page.
- Found on Moverscom “Moving to Portugal” page.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Portugal” page.
- Found on Moverscom “Moving to Portugal” page.
- A-1 Auto Transport Ship Car To Portugal