According to the Foreigners and Borders Service, in 2018 the number of Australians living in Portugal was 372. This number has increased since then proving that Portugal is a popular choice when immigrating to Europe from Australia. The country is especially desirable for its stunning geography, unmatched quality of life and general positive attitude towards expats.
Australians are finding the warm weather in Portugal paired with the mild winters to very suitable to their lifestyle.
However, an Australian immigrating to Portugal needs to go through a standard process of acquiring the appropriate visa. Once the visa is obtained, you’ll be able to begin making the necessary arrangements for moving to Portugal including but not limited to finding a job, packing your belongings and potentially having your vehicle shipped.
We’ve outlined all the crucial information that you should be aware of when planning your relocation from Australia to Portugal. This essential guide will help walk you through the entire process.
What is the applicable visa for Australians in Portugal?
The type of visa that you will require for your move to Portugal will depend on the overall purpose of your stay. Examine the following options to determine which type applies to your situation:
- Work visa: This type of visa is for Australians that are entering Portugal and are employed by a Portuguese based company. However, work visas are also accessible to entrepreneurs that plan to participate in independent work.
- Family reunification visa: This form of visa is issued to allow families to reunite in Portugal. However, special approvals and circumstances are required.
- Research or study visa: This visa is available to students, high-school student exchange, volunteer work and internships. A research/study visa allows a student from Australia to reside in Portugal.
- Professional training visa: This type of visa involves an unpaid internship that has the added element of professional training.
Keep in mind that the work visa is an all-encompassing visa that can not only be used for employment with a company or as an independent contractor. You can also use this type of visa if you plan to work as a highly qualified individual or as a teacher/professor at a higher education institution. Additionally, work visas can be used in the case of employment through a particular sport.
Note: Being from Australia, you are permitted to stay, without working, in Portugal for up to 90 days without a visa.
If you plan to stay in Portugal for the long haul, you need to obtain a residence permit. These permits will last for up to one year and can be extended. After you’ve resided in Portugal for five years, you can start the application process for Permanent Residency. As a special bonus, every resident in Portugal receives universal healthcare!
What kind of work opportunities are available in Portugal for Australians?
If you’re not already relocating to Portugal to pursue a work opportunity, it’s recommended that you try to establish your employment situation before you leave Australia. While the job market will be different for those that speak Portuguese and those that do not, there are quite a few companies that are looking for English speakers.
However, you can expect the more professional jobs such as doctors, lawyers, engineers, and accountants to prefer or require Portuguese speakers. One area in the professional sector that is open to English speakers and other expats alike is software and IT. Currently, there are a lot of jobs available to developers in Lisbon. The city of Lisbon has experienced some serious growth in the last five years and is also home to major companies such as Samsung, Nokia and Portuguese Telecom.
The Tourism and hospitality industry is a vital sector in Portugal and has plenty of job opportunities available to Australians. Hotels, bars and restaurants are always seeking English speakers and if you know a little bit of Portuguese you’ll have no trouble securing a job. However, keep in mind that these types of jobs may pay slightly less than what you’re used to in the hospitality industry in Australia.
Here’s a comprehensive list of some of the most in demand jobs for Australians in Portugal:
- Backend and frontend web developers
- Sales associates
- Customer support (call centers and also with multinational companies housed in Portugal)
- Real estate agents
- Translators and interpreters
- Online gaming support
- Project managers
Note: You’ll have a significant advantage as an Australian in Portugal if you can read and write in two or more languages.
How do I transport my vehicle from Australia to Portugal?
One question that most relocators do not consider is how they plan to get their car or motorcycle to their new country when moving overseas. While you can always choose to buy a new car when you arrive in Portugal, for a variety of reasons you may want to bring your current vehicle with you. Obviously, your car cannot be driven across the ocean so you’ll need to hire an auto transport company. Working with professional car shippers, you’ll have the following options for transporting your car from Australia to Portugal:
- Roll-on Roll-off (RORO) Shipping – This is a relatively simple and cost-effective way to ship a vehicle overseas. Vehicles are driven straight onto the shipping vessel and then secured on the enclosed deck. This method requires that you remove any items from the vehicle and does not allow the shipment of any personal items. Although RORO shipping is the cheapest option, it may not be the best. Your car is exposed to the elements during the journey and although rare, it is susceptible to damage. With this method, your car also needs to be in good condition prior to transport as you may be charged additional fees if it has to be towed.
- Container Shipping – The most commonly used way of shipping a vehicle overseas is in a shipping container. This method will cost you more than RORO shipping but your car will be protected inside a metal container as it makes the journey across the ocean from Australia to Portugal. Depending on your preference, you can choose to have your vehicle shipped in its own container or a shared one. Opting for a shared shipping container can help you cut some costs as they will be distributed among multiple vehicle owners.
- Air Freight – Having your car transported overseas by way of freight aircraft is incredibly expensive but the safest method available. This method is preferred among owners of vintage, rare or exotic vehicles. There is very little handling of the vehicle from point A to point B and the speed with which it reaches Portugal will be unmatched.
As an industry leader in car shipping, A-1 Auto Transport has one of the largest networks of reputable shipping companies for transporting your vehicle from Australia to Portugal. We understand how overwhelming an overseas relocation can be and we’re here to help. Allow us to guide you through the entire process and handle all of the complicated paperwork that is required when importing a vehicle into Portugal.
You can obtain a free quote by using our instant quote calculator, contacting us online or by giving us a call. Our overseas shipping specialists are available 24/7 to answer any of your questions and help get the process started for your move from Australia to Portugal.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.