- What Taxes And Duties Will I Need To Pay For My Stuff?
- What About My Pets?
- Can I Bring My Vehicle To Norway?
- The Help You Need Is A Call Away
Citizens of European countries enjoy the benefit of an extensive multinational rail system that criss-crosses the continent. Weekend in Morocco, Christmas in Switzerland? Not a problem. Rail transportation throughout Europe is cheap, fast, and very convenient.
Maybe in your travels across the continent you found a place in Norway. You purchase property and begin packing your household. What do you need to know before you go?
Let’s take a look at what you need to know to move to Norway.
What Taxes and Duties Will I Need to Pay for my Stuff?
Your household goods are eligible to be imported into Norway tax and duty-free as long as you:
- Lived in your country of origin for at least the past year
- Owned and used your belongings for at least a year, and plan to continue using them in Norway
- Import your personal belongings to Norway within a reasonable time after your change of residence
You will need to provide documentation for your move, and this paperwork will be required at customs. One of the most important documents you will provide will be your inventory. In order to pass through customs, you will need to provide a detailed, comprehensive inventory of the goods you are importing.
While packing, take the extra time to itemize every item in every box with detailed descriptions. Number your boxes so that you can quickly identify their contents. When your items arrive in Norway, they will be inspected and checked against your list. Discrepancies can mean delays or penalties, so check it twice.
If your personal items' value does not exceed 6,000 NOK (or 565 Euro), you do not need to declare them. Even if you do have to declare your belongings, no big deal. You don’t have to be physically present for customs processing as long as you have arranged for an agent or shipping company to handle the process.
There are some items that you are not permitted to bring to Norway. For instance, you are strictly forbidden from being potatoes into the country. To avoid this and other such disappointments, be sure to check with your local embassy for the most current guidance.
What About my Pets?
You can bring your pets with you to Norway as long as you meet vaccination and health requirements. You must ensure that your pet:
- Has a current vaccination against rabies
- Arrives in Norway within five days of you
- Is evaluated by a veterinarian and received EU and International Health certificates
- Is examined a final time within 24 hours of departure from the country of origin
Can I Bring my Vehicle to Norway?
Before you import your vehicle to Norway, you will need to ensure that it is both insured and registered in compliance with the Automobile Liability Act.
Once you arrive at the border, local authorities will walk you through the process of importing your car. First, you will be issued a transit document number and will have to fill out the required paperwork.
After you get your transit document number at the border, you will need to move on to the Customs and Excise office. Presenting your transit document and vehicle information, you will obtain a temporary Norwegian registration plate for your vehicle. They will require the following paperwork:
- Transit document (This is the one you received at the border upon arrival.)
- Proof of vehicle ownership (To include invoices, bills of sale, and certainly, a title with no liens or disputed ownership)
- Proof of insurance and registration in the country of origin
The final step in the process is to pay all applicable taxes and duties, including taxes for Perfluorocarbons, Hydrofluorocarbons, and VAT (Value-Added Tax). Calculate what it will cost to import a car to Norway.
The Help You Need is a Call Away
At A-1 Auto Transport, we can help you with every step of the process, from paperwork to customs declaration. If you give us a call, we can give you a free, no-obligation shipping quote, tailored for you and your family’s unique needs. Our dedicated team of shipping experts will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your paperwork is complete, and your move is seamless. Wherever you need to go, A-1 Auto Transport can get you there.