New Zealand International Moving Services
Ever thought about the hassle that you would go through in a new place where you know no one? You would probably be wondering how to safely transport your valuables and also ensure you have everything in order to safely move your family. We understand how tricky an international move can be. That is why A-1 Auto transport is dedicated to give you the best service. We also go out of our way to ensure we safely ship all your household goods as well as your vehicle.
Moving to New Zealand Cost & Time Examples
|Los Angeles to Auckland||$4,200- $5,900||$8,100- $10,900||5-7 weeks|
|San Jose to Auckland||$4,400- $5,900||$8,100- $10,900||5-7 weeks|
|Miami to Christchurch||$4,800- $6,400||$8,900- $12,000||6-8 weeks|
|Houston to Auckland||$4,800- $6,400||$8,900- $12,000||6-8 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Auckland||$4,900- $6,700||$9,100- $12,200||5-7 weeks|
|Phoenix to Auckland||$5,200- $7,000||$9,500- $12,700||5-7 weeks|
|Charlotte to Auckland||$5,200- $7,100||$9,700- $13,000||6-8 weeks|
|Atlanta to Auckland||$5,300- $7,200||$9,900- $13,300||6-8 weeks|
|Chicago to Auckland||$5,800- $7,900||$10,800- $14,500||6-8 weeks|
|Denver to Christchurch||$6,700- $9,000||$12,100- $16,400||5-7 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size):
1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs
2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs
3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs
4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs
5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Import duties and your household items
New Zealand allows you to bring in household belongings exempt from the regular import duties and taxes - though there are conditions you must meet to be eligible. According to the International Association of Movers (IAM), you’re required to already be in New Zealand when customs is processing your shipment.
You also need to have just one acceptable type of documentation. The list of appropriate paperwork includes a Permanent Resident Visa, a Visitor Visa (good for at least three full years) or a New Zealand Work Visa (valid for at least one year). Customs will also accept either an Australian or New Zealand passport - or a Returning Resident Visa (1). Though IAM doesn’t mention whether your household items need to be used - another trustworthy source clearly indicates that only used goods can be exempted from duties and taxes. Since this is common practice in many other nations around the world, it stands to reason that this information is accurate.
Customs also mandates that these items be only for your own use, and that the proper fumigation of your shipment be carried out (if required in your case). Further, if you aren't in New Zealand when customs is processing your shipment - then duty-free entry won’t be granted (2).
Import paperwork and your household items
Before your shipment can be authorized to enter New Zealand, certain paperwork must be provided. A CITES Permit (if needed), a comprehensive inventory that includes monetary values and an Unaccompanied Personal Baggage Declaration should be submitted to customs. If your shipment contains any prescription medication, then copies of these prescriptions are required.
Proof of your shipment receiving any necessary cleaning (in the form of Treatment Certificates) is also requested. A Work Visa good for at least one year and/or a Residence Visa will likely be needed as well. It appears, however, that a Visitor Visa (good for three years at least) is an appropriate substitute. Depending upon your specific shipment, a Supplemental Declaration Form for or from the Ministry for Primary Industries may be required (3).
Import duties and your vehicle
You’ll be pleased to discover that duties and taxes can also be waived on your vehicle, when importing it into the country. To receive this exemption, you must be in New Zealand when your vehicle is being cleared by customs. You also are required to have resided in another country for the last year or more. Purchase of the vehicle a minimum of one year before shipping it to New Zealand is also a mandatory condition for duty-free importation. Finally, you’ll need paperwork proving you’ve been approved for residency within New Zealand (4).
An in-person interview with a customs agent is also necessary, during which time you’ll need to fill out a Deed of Undertaking. This affirms that you won’t sell the vehicle during your first two years in the country, and that it’s only for your personal use (5).
Import paperwork and your vehicle
In addition to this Deed of Undertaking, your passport and vehicle purchase receipt are required. A document detailing the current condition of the vehicle should be provided as well. Customs will also request a Statement of Compliance and the vehicle’s registration (6).
A valid passport, vehicle title and proof of insurance coverage are also mandatory documentation. An Import Permit issued by the Ministry of External Affairs is necessary, along with a vehicle log book (for purposes of determining how long ago you purchased the vehicle). Paperwork listing the amount paid for shipping and freight insurance should be shown, as well as a Residence Visa (7).
This overview of New Zealand’s import duties and policies is far from complete. A number of additional forms and regulations will pertain to your shipments. Therefore, it’s an excellent idea to contact customs for yourself - to learn all of the requirements you’ll need to follow.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Planning: It is critical to plan your move. Get to know what you need, who is involved and the cost implications. Packing should be done with the assistance of a professional who will help you put the items appropriately for easy loading and offloading.
- Travel documents: Ensure you have all the requisite documents ready. These could include: Your passport, visa, import permit, among others.
- Work with a professional moving company: A moving company will enable you walk through the whole process without breaking a sweat. As part of their New Zealand International Moving Services, they will help you plan, prepare the requisite documents and oversee all other logistics.
How to find the best international moving company
A suitable International moving company needs to qualify in the following criteria:
- The company must have been registered with the registrar in New Zealand and have a permit to operate in the countries where it provides services.
- A good moving company needs to have both local and international presence with offices and agents in their countries of operation.
- The right company must have the right equipment. This is to ensure that your vehicle or belongings are transported in the best and safest way possible.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Our New Zealand International Moving Services
- Moving office: An office has equipment and items that are unique and most of them are fragile and expensive. You do not want your items delivered and it is faulty; this is why we have special gadgets that we use to carry such items and specialized teams that will help you reach your destination safely.
- Packing/unpacking: We will help you put all our items in order before you begin your move. Once at your destination, we will assist in unpacking and safely keeping your luggage.
- Auto-moving: Moving your fleet of cars and other automobiles from abroad is now made easier with our New Zealand International Moving Services. We will ensure your vehicle gets to you within the shortest time possible.
- Apartment moves: Yes, we know that moving from one apartment to another can be tricky. But we have the solution. Our experts will move you from your current home and help you settle into you new area in a hassle-free process.
- Planning and preparation: We will help you plan your move and get every requirement ready.
- Visa and immigration services: Getting a visa and clearance from the ministry of immigration can be tiresome. Our team is dedicated to walk you through the process stress-free.
- Housing assistance: Wondering where to get a house to stay or a store for your luggage in your new destination, worry no more. We take of every detail.
- Family services: Moving with your whole family abroad? We will walk with you all the way and ensure that you are comfortably settled in your new destination.
- New Zealand container shipping
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
With over 20 years of experience and a presence in all countries around the globe, A-1 Auto transport has won the confidence of millions of customers served. We have delivered all kinds of goods from SUV cars, military and army vehicles, trucks, assorted household items and office equipment. We have literally helped our customers move all over the country and overseas. We have encountered numerous challenges but have surmounted them all. We are certified to operate our business in the countries where we have a presence. You can therefore expect that with us, you will seamlessly cross borders without encountering any restrictions. We also ensure that you have the requisite cover from the best insurance companies for you and your valuables.
Contact us today
You do not have to burn the midnight oil thinking of how to move that expensive automobile or equipment. With A-1 Auto transport, you have all that you need to move safely anywhere in the world. Call us on 888-509-3213 or contact us here and enjoy our shipping services at an affordable rate. Kindly fill-out our forms on top of the page to allow us serve you better.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into New Zealand” page.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into New Zealand” page.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org