New Guinea International Moving Services
Moving your car or other valuables to New Guinea is not something you want to tackle without the assistance of a professional. Many have found themselves struggling without success. There are details that will require the intervention of a professional mover such as packing, unpacking, insurance, documentation among others. This is why A-1 Auto Transport has invested in making sure your International move is hassle-free. Our shipping services go beyond picking and delivery to a fully packed service that will leave you stress-free.
Moving to New Guinea Cost & Time Examples
|Los Angeles to Lae||$4,300- $5,900||$8,100- $10,900||5-7 weeks|
|Seattle to Port Moresby||$4,300- $5,900||$8,100- $10,900||5-7 weeks|
|Portland to Lae||$4,600- $6,300||$8,400- $11,500||5-7 weeks|
|Miami to Port Moresby||$4,700- $6,400||$8,800- $11,900||6-8 weeks|
|New York to Port Moresby||$4,700- $6,400||$8,800- $11,900||6-8 weeks|
|Phoenix to Port Moresby||$5,100- $6,900||$9,500- $12,800||5-7 weeks|
|Dallas to Port Moresby||$5,200- $7,200||$9,800- $13,200||6-8 weeks|
|Memphis to Port Moresby||$5,600- $7,500||$10,400- $13,900||6-8 weeks|
|Indianapolis to Lae||$5,800- $7,800||$10,700- $14,400||6-8 weeks|
|Denver to Port Moresby||$6,600- $8,900||$12,000- $16,200||5-7 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Will you pay import duty on household belongings?
Customs permits you to bring in one shipment over the water and one shipment via air, without incurring import duty. However, to be eligible for this consideration, proof of employment by a company within Papua New Guinea is required (1). Though sources aren’t completely clear on this point, at least according to the International Association of Movers - only a valid Work Permit will suffice for this purpose (2). It may also be possible to receive exemption with just a Residence Permit instead, but this is far from certain (3). Therefore, you’re advised to speak with customs directly about this matter.
Customs also insists that these household items be purchased at least one year ago, and personally used by you during this term. Residing outside of Papua New Guinea for a minimum of the last 12 months is also necessary (4). Finally, your goods should enter the country no later than 3 months from when your Work Permit (or Residence Permit if this is acceptable for duty exemption) was issued (5).
Additional Shipping Policies
You must be able to show that your shipment adheres to ISMP 15 guidelines, or customs may levy quarantine fees on your goods. Be prepared for your shipment to be examined by the Quarantine Department, as well as customs agents.
Even if you obtain import duty exemption, be aware that your shipment may be stored during the inspection process. Fees for this storage (called demurrage) will be charged - and these are reportedly quite expensive. Typical processing time for shipments via air is 10 days, with 30 days being the norm for over-the-water shipments (6).
What paperwork is required for household belongings?
You must provide your passport and an immigration arrival card, which you will fill out when you enter the country. A valid Work Permit and/or Residence Permit is also needed, along with the Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill for your shipment (7). A full inventory is required as well, and this should include monetary values. It also must be written in English, list the items packed in each separate container within your shipment, and bear your signature and the date. If a third party will be coordinating with customs on your behalf, then you’ll need a Power of Attorney giving them permission to do so. Finally, a Personal Effects Statutory Declaration may be needed (8).
Will you pay import duty on vehicles?
Unfortunately, only diplomats are granted duty exemption on imported vehicles. If you don’t have diplomatic status, then import duties will be levied. Depending upon the size of the engine, the duty rate ranges from 60% to 110%. The only exceptions are vans and buses - which are charged just 10% duty. An additional Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 10% will also be imposed on all vehicles, no matter the size of the engine (9).
According to one reputable source, the import process is intricate and can take quite a long time to complete (10). For this reason, expert guidance is recommended, either from a destination agent or an experienced international shipping company like A1 Auto Transport.
What paperwork is required for vehicles?
Customs will ask to see the Original Bill of Lading for the vehicle shipment and the purchase invoice. Proof of international insurance coverage, your driver’s license and a customs declaration are also required. The vehicle’s title and registration must be shown as well (11).
It’s possible that you’ll need a valid Work and/or Residence Permit, a Certificate of Origin and an Import Permit. A full packing list, your passport and a value declaration could be necessary too, but this isn’t certain (12). For the most up-to-date list of required documents, contact customs before shipping your vehicle to Papua New Guinea.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Moving internationally demands much more preparation. It is therefore advisable to start the process early in order to avoid delays and inconveniences that come with lack of preparedness
- Carry out extensive research to determine what documents you need to get and begin the application process well in advance.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
- A professional mover will help you in packing your valuables for easy picking and dropping.
- A professional mover will help you in getting the right documents before you begin the process.
- A professional moving company will provide comprehensive cover for all your items.
How to find the best international moving company
A good moving company needs to have presence in the country you are relocating to. They should provide a certificate or permit to prove that they are doing this kind of business in accordance with the set regulations. A company that offers Papua New Guinea International Moving Services must be duly registered and licensed to operate there.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Our Papua New Guinea International Moving Services
This is what we offer:
- Packing/ Unpacking services: Moving requires that you break your luggage into smaller portions. This is to save on space and ensure that your items don’t break or get damaged. Our team of experts will help you pack accordingly and when you reach your destination, your things will be unpacked and ensure that they are safely delivered.
- Commercial Moving: You are a corporate or an individual dealing with cars or any other automobiles; could be you import/export other valuables for sale. Our Papua New Guinea International Moving Services will deliver your office inventory and on time.
- Office Moves: Moving offices unlike household moving has some technicalities. You have fragile equipment that needs extra care; you want everything arranged at your destination. We are the right people to deliver and help you settle without a sweat.
- Apartment Moves: Moving apartments is not easy, with challenging stairs, elevators, and parking requirements. Whether from one apartment to another, from a dormitory, condominium, townhouse or home; we ensure you move seamlessly and safely.
- Planning and preparation: Both domestic and International moving requires that you plan before. The time of departure and destination, you need to get all travel documents ready among other things. We will advise you and assist you get all what you require moving.
- Visa and Immigration Services: Our team will help you in getting your visa and ensure you meet all other requirements as per the immigration department prior to your moving.
- Housing Assistance: Whenever you are in a new area, chances are that you do not know where to stay or rent. We will guide you on the best places to stay and assist you getting affordable accommodation and storage for your luggage.
- Family relocation services: We offer a full suite of family services for those moving internationally with their spouses and children. We will make it simple for you by offering immigration assistance, getting a school for your children among other services.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
A-1 Auto Transport prides itself as the best international moving company courtesy of our customers. With our Papua New Guinea International Moving Services you are sure to receive quality moving services. We help you in packing and preparing your items for the move; we help you get the best insurance cover to protect you from any incidentals. We have been in this business for over 25 years serving millions of customers across the world. Our rates are very affordable. Our staff members are well trained and highly motivated to give you the best with our customer service team available 24/7.
Your search for the best Papua New Guinea International Moving Services is over. Contact us and our representatives you help you see why we are the right company to partner with for this move. Call us on 888-509-3213 or find us here. Fill-out the form on top of this page so that we can serve you better.
(1) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Papua New Guinea” page.
(2) A Work Permit is necessary, according to: https://www.iamovers.org/ResourcesPublications/CountryGuides.aspx?ItemNumber=3552
Being an employee of a company within the country is the only prerequisite listed for duty exemption, according to: Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Papua New Guinea” page
(4) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Papua New Guinea” page.
(8) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Papua New Guinea” page.
(10) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Papua New Guinea” page.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.