Deliver Your House Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Malawi
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers near you
- Award winning service, always on time
- Get instant quotes using our form, or call now 1-888-509-3213
Malawi International Moving Services
Getting a new job is a wonderful experience that we all cherish. However, most new jobs come with strings attached. For example, many times there will be a need to relocate to a place that is closer to your new workplace.
If your new job is in a different country, then the moving process becomes more demanding because of all the additional documents that you will need to move and live in the new country. If this new country is Malawi, you are in luck because you’ve just found the company that offers the best Malawi International Moving Services.
Moving to Malawi Cost & Time Examples
|Boston to Lilongwe||$5,000- $8,200||$9,100- $15,000||4-8 weeks|
|Houston to Blantyre||$5,100- $8,600||$9,600- $15,700||4-8 weeks|
|Seattle to Lilongwe||$5,400- $8,800||$9,800- $16,200||5-9 weeks|
|Detroit to Lilongwe||$5,400- $8,800||$9,800- $16,100||4-8 weeks|
|LA to Blantyre||$5,500- $9,200||$10,200- $16,900||5-9 weeks|
|Portland to Lilongwe||$5,600- $9,200||$10,400- $16,900||5-9 weeks|
|Chicago to Lilongwe||$5,900- $9,700||$10,900- $17,800||4-8 weeks|
|Indianapolis to Blantyre||$6,100- $10,100||$11,200- $18,400||4-8 weeks|
|Phoenix to Blantyre||$6,300- $10,400||$11,500- $18,900||5-9 weeks|
|Denver to Lilongwe||$7,400- $12,100||$13,400- $22,000||5-9 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size):
1BR=2600 lbs – 3900 lbs
2BR=3900 lbs – 5200 lbs
3BR=6500 lbs – 9100 lbs
4BR=9100 lbs – 14300 lbs
5BR=11700 lbs – 19500 lbs
Duties levied on household goods
Import duty on your used household belongings will be waived, if you purchased them at least six months ago (and have been using them during this time). You also must have been residing outside of Malawi for the last 12 months.
In addition, to receive exemption, you’re required to bring these items in no later than six months after entering the country (or after you obtain a Residence Visa or Work Permit). Customs also mandates that you don’t transfer ownership, lend to others or get rid of any duty-free goods brought into the country, for the entirety of your time in Malawi (1).
To be eligible for duty exemption, the appropriate documentation must arrive a minimum of 15 days before your shipment. You’re also required to be at the point of entry in person, while customs is clearing your goods (2).
Paperwork needed for household goods
Customs will need to see a valid employment contract and a full packing list. Receipts or purchase invoices for any electronic goods bought under six months ago, should also be included in your paperwork. A detailed inventory that is written in English, lists monetary values and bears your signature and the date is mandatory as well.
Your passport and either the shipment’s Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill should also be presented (3). Keep in mind that a valid Work Permit or Residence Visa are likely an acceptable substitute for an employment contract. Also, be prepared to show a Power of Attorney to customs (4).
Duties levied on vehicles
Unfortunately, no exemption for vehicle imports exists – so expect to pay the standard duty rate. This varies and is based on a number of different factors, such as your vehicle’s value, the year it was manufactured, its engine size and more. According to reputable sources, you may pay between 95 – 150% of the vehicle’s CIF value, when bringing it into Malawi (5). Additional regulations are also enforced, such as an import limit of just a single vehicle.
You’re also required to maintain ownership of the vehicle for a full five years (lending, selling or giving it away to others isn’t permitted during this term). If you fail to adhere to this rule, then you may be subject to a second fee – which will be roughly the cost incurred when you originally imported the vehicle (6).
Paperwork needed for vehicles
When processing your vehicle for entry, customs requires you to provide the correct documentation. You must have your passport, purchase receipt or invoice and a valid employment contract. The vehicle registration (or registration card) should be shown as well, along with the Original Bill of Lading (or possibly the Air Waybill).
The OBL must list a host of relevant information about the vehicle. This includes the size of the engine (in cubic centimeters), chassis and engine numbers, make, model and when it was made (7). The vehicle’s title issued in the origin country, your driver’s license and a valid international insurance policy round out the list (8).
You should always discuss your impending move with customs before embarking, as additional regulations, filing requirements and fees are likely to apply.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
Let’s start with some tips to make the process easier for you:
- Plan ahead. Start preparing your move when there is still time. You can start one or two months earlier to ensure that you get sufficient time for everything.
- Prepare a checklist with everything that you need to do before you leave. Keep it within reach like in your notebook or on your phone so that you can easily add new items as you remember them.
- It’s never too early to start looking at Malawi’s immigration requirements. Ensure that you are compliant with them before you travel.
- Sell any items that you don’t need on Craigslist or eBay or donate them to your favorite charity.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
A professional moving company offering Malawi International Moving Services is always a good idea because of the benefits that it brings to your moving process. Let’s take a look at some of these benefits.
- Their experience in the moving scene has enabled them to learn from mistakes that are sometimes expensive. This means that you won’t have to make these mistakes when you work with them.
- Moving companies have built relationships with local authorities over the years that they have been in operation hence they are best placed to fix any problems that could arise.
- Professional movers come with hauling equipment and tools to dismantle any large appliances in your home. This means that nothing will be damaged in transit or as it is being loaded in the trucks.
- They are insured so you are protected from any liabilities should something unexpected happen along the way.
How to find the best international moving company
Identifying a good company for your Malawi International Moving Services is easy. This is what you should look out for:
- US DOT Number: The US Department of Transportation issues numbers to registered moving companies. Ask for one and check it here.
- Customer Reviews: There is no better way to know what to expect from a company than to hear what past customers have to say.
- Insurance: Is the company insured? Even if they are, ask about how they handle claims and how long the process takes.
Our Malawi International Moving Services
- Packing/unpacking: Let us handle everything and enjoy a stress-free move to Malawi.
- Commercial Moving: We also move businesses that want to relocate to a new area.
- Office moves: Get office moves that are designed to get everything up and running in the shortest time possible.
- Apartment moves: Get a hassle-free moving experience to your new apartment.
- Planning and preparation: We can help you make the right decisions right from the planning phase.
- Visa and immigration services: You also get access to our immigration experts who know everything about Malawi immigration requirements.
- Family services: We are dedicated to ensuring that every member of the family gets a moving service that leaves them happy and satisfied.
- Auto transport services: You don’t have to sell your car simply because you can’t find someone to ship it for you. Let us handle it.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
Want to know why every single customer leaves us happy and satisfied?
- We take pride in having a dedicated workforce that is experienced and passionate about making your move as smooth and painless as possible.
- We understand that no two customers are the same so when you come to us, we will design a moving service that meets your particular needs.
- Your property is in safe hands thanks to our cargo insurance policy.
Get in touch!
Need more information? Call us on 888-509-3213 or fill the form above and one of our reps will get back to you with the information that you need.
(1) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Malawi” page.
(4) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Malawi” page.
(5) Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Malawi” page
(6) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Malawi” page.
(8) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Malawi” page.