- Latvia International Moving Services
- Moving To Latvia Cost & Time Examples
- Import Duties When Moving To Latvia
- Paperwork Involved When Moving To Latvia
- Import Duties For Your Vehicle
- Paperwork For Your Vehicle
- Tips On How To Make Your International Move Easier
- Early Preparation
- Visa, Passport, And Residency
- Save Money
- Why You Need A Professional Moving Company
- How To Find The Best International Moving Company
- Our International Moving Services
- Why A-1 Auto Transport?
- Get In Touch
Latvia International Moving Services
Planning to make Europe, and specifically Latvia, your new home? Well good for you but you have to take care of quite a number of things before this can become a reality. You will soon find out that international moving can be a logistical nightmare without proper planning and preparation.
Moving to Latvia Cost & Time Examples
|New York to Riga||$3,800- $5,200||$7,000- $9,600||3-5 weeks|
|Boston to Daugavpils||$4,100- $5,600||$7,500- $10,200||4-6 weeks|
|Charlotte to Riga||$4,200- $5,800||$7,800- $10,600||3-5 weeks|
|LA to Riga||$4,500- $6,100||$8,600- $11,500||5-7 weeks|
|Seattle to Riga||$4,500- $6,100||$8,400- $11,500||5-7 weeks|
|Dallas to Daugavpils||$4,600- $6,400||$8,600- $11,500||4-6 weeks|
|Memphis to Riga||$4,600- $6,400||$8,600- $11,500||3-5 weeks|
|Chicago to Riga||$4,900- $6,600||$8,900- $12,000||3-5 weeks|
|Phoenix to Riga||$5,400- $7,300||$10,000- $13,400||5-7 weeks|
|Denver to Riga||$6,800- $9,200||$12,500- $16,900||5-7 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
But, instead of taking all this upon yourself, why not just hire professionals? Movers who offer Latvia International Moving Services and are quite adept at international moving. If they can also ship your vehicle you will be half-way there.
Import duties when moving to Latvia
At least one knowledgeable source states that you can bring your household belongings into Latvia, without paying any duty. To be eligible, you must have owned and personally used these items for at least the last six months.
Also, though you can import a second shipment free of duty - it must arrive no later than six months after the first one enters Latvia. Keep in mind that the possibility of export duties and taxes exist. For this reason, you’re advised to hold onto all the paperwork customs provides during processing, to avoid these added fees (1).
Paperwork involved when moving to Latvia
Before customs will let your shipment proceed into the country, a number of documents must be submitted. These include a copy of your lease or purchase agreement, for a residence within Latvia. A letter of employment and a valid employment contract are also required.
Customs will also ask for a comprehensive inventory (written in English) and a pro-forma invoice that includes monetary values. A formal letter written to customs is also mandatory, and this should enumerate why you’ve chosen to relocate to Latvia (2).
Import duties for your vehicle
It’s not entirely clear how customs handles duties for vehicle imports. According to the International Association of Movers, you can bring your vehicle into Latvia without being charged duty. To receive this exemption, you must have owned and used the vehicle for at least the last six months. It also must adhere to European technical and emissions standards. Third-party liability insurance is also required, along with a non-expired license plate (3).
Other sources don’t agree, seeming to state that temporary import can be performed without paying duty (only a small deposit). Otherwise, for permanent importation - different import duty rates or VAT apply depending upon the age of the vehicle. The total amount for these combined can range from 18 - 20% (4).
Since conflicting information is available, you should speak with customs to clear up any confusion about this question.
Paperwork for your vehicle
You must provide documentation proving ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of the last six months. However, this requirement may only apply if you’re seeking duty exemption, and this is available in your situation. A technical passport is also needed (5).
The title and registration for the vehicle are also required, along with a purchase invoice or receipt. Customs will also need to see your driver’s license and international driving permit (IDP) (6).
While you now have an excellent picture of the documents and duties you’ll encounter when moving to Latvia - this discussion isn’t comprehensive. For this reason, it’s advisable to consult customs, to ensure that you meet all of their requirements when relocating.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
As a result of the complexities of relocating overseas, most moving companies advise their clients to start making preparations 3 months in advance. One great tip for early preparation is to sort out your belongings according to size. Doing this will save you space and overall shipping costs. Also, sift through your items and get rid of whatever you do not need.
Visa, passport, and residency
Under the Schengen Agreement, you do not need a visa to travel to Latvia for the first 90 days. However, you will need a valid US Government issued passport. If you plan to stay more than the stated duration, ensure you apply for the appropriate visa through the Embassy of Latvia.
Since you will not need a visa, make certain that you research on the type of residency you qualify for and apply for it. Also, find out if you need any other documents such as a work permit.
You will need money to move and settle-in once you get to your new location. Because it might take some time to get a job or set up a business, save some money specifically to see you through this period. You could also draw up a budget and cut-down on costs which will then help you allocate your finances to the most pressing needs.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need a professional moving company
Some tasks are best left to professionals. International moving is no exception. In fact, it is very strenuous and time-consuming not to mention you might lose or damage your possessions if you handle them by yourself.
On the other hand, professional movers have the expertise and the right equipment to tackle the task. They will ensure there is no damage to your belongings and everything will be shipped intact.
How to find the best international moving company
At first, when looking for Latvia International Moving Services, you will have many options presented to you. Many of these companies will sound like the ideal ones to work with but, you need to consider the following:
- Is the company duly licensed? If not, steer clear of such a mover.
- Ensure that the company you choose has insurance that covers damage on valuables during transportation.
- Choose a company whose exemplary customer-service has won it accreditations.
- Compare different estimates and settle for a mover that is offering a good package at an affordable rate.
- Read customer reviews on various moving companies’ websites. The more the positive reviews than negative ones, the better the company.
Our international moving services
Our Latvia International Moving Services has the following:
- Packing/unpacking: Leave the packing and unpacking of your valuables to us.
- Apartment moves: We will help you switch between rental apartments.
- Corporate moves: We handle all logistics pertaining to office and businesses move.
- Planning and preparation: We will guide you through your planning and preparations process. We will give you tips on how to get prepared.
- Visa and immigration: We offer assistance in applying for Latvia visa and immigration services.
- Housing assistance: We will help you find suitable housing.
- Family services: We will also help you identify family-friendly service providers such as health centers.
- Auto transport: We are an international vehicle shipping company that is equipped to handle all classes of vehicles.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
With over 30 years of operation, we have the right blend of expertise. In fact, we have provided international moving services to thousands of clients. As a result, we have gained trust from our clients due to our vast knowledge and information regarding international moving. You can be sure that whatever your destination, we will get you there and will answer whatever questions you may have.
Get in touch
Do you feel it is time to relocate to Latvia? Talk to us by contacting our experts on our toll-free number 888-509-3213. Also, fill-in your details in the form provided at the top of this page to get free estimates.
- Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Latvia” page.
- IAM doesn’t make mention of duty exemption being available to foreigners: IAMovers Country Guide: Latvia
- Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Latvia” page. and Moverscom “Moving to Latvia” page.
- IAMovers Country Guide: Latvia. Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Latvia” page.