Deliver Your House Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Italy
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers near you
- Award winning service, always on time
- Get instant quotes using our form, or call now 1-888-509-3213
Italy International Moving Services
Do you have plans to relocate to Italy? International moving, as you will discover, is such a tedious and time-consuming task. Indeed, a lot of processes come into play not forgetting strict international immigration rules and customs requirements that have to be met. It is because of these challenges that most people seek professional help.
Household goods and import duties
Italian customs will grant you import duty exemption, if you’ve both owned and personally used your household goods for at least the last 12 months. You also must have resided outside of Italy, for a minimum of one year. Also a prerequisite to receive exemption, customs imposes a time limit of six months after you enter the country. Finally, you’re not permitted to transfer ownership, lend out to others or get rid of these goods while in Italy (1).
Household goods and documentation
A host of paperwork is required during the customs clearance process. You must have a tax code number (Codice Fiscale from the Agenzia delle Entrate) and your passport. Also necessary is a Customs Dichiarazione Sostitutiva di Certificazione – and this is to be filled out and signed by you. A comprehensive inventory (bearing a signature and stamp from the Italian consulate in your origin country) is also mandatory documentation.
Customs will also request your Permit to Stay, which has been issued by the Questura Police Office. Finally, you must provide your Residence Certificate – and you’ll obtain this from the local city hall in the municipality in which you’ll be residing (2).
Vehicles and import duties
The requirements to receive duty exemption on your vehicle are refreshingly simple. As long as you’ve owned your vehicle for at least 6 months (though one year is apparently better) – you can import it without paying duty (3).
Vehicles and documentation
Though the requirements to obtain exemption are easy – the paperwork involved for importation is still rather extensive. You must have the vehicle’s registration and title, which was issued in the origin country. Proof of insurance that’s valid within Italy’s borders is also required.
A data sheet from the manufacturer must be submitted, and this should list all of the relevant technical specifications for your vehicle. This includes a statement confirming that it adheres to the required EU technical standards. You’ll also need documentation showing you’ve owned the vehicle for the required 6 months (for duty exemption) (4).
It’s not recommended that you go it alone, when shipping your household belongings and vehicle to Italy. This is where the experience of A1 Auto Transport comes into play, as we can guide you expertly through the process. It’s also a good idea to speak with Italian customs as well, as the above discussion is hardly exhaustive – and additional filing and regulatory requirement will certainly apply.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Plan in advance: Early planning is important when it comes to moving overseas because there are so many factors to attend to. In fact, most international moving companies advise their clients to start preparations some 90 days before the day of moving. Doing this gives you ample time to attend to everything you need to. It also helps you avoid delays with customs departments.
- Visa and passport: As a US citizen travelling to Italy, you will not need a visa for the first 90 days. However, if you plan to stay there for longer make arrangements with Embassy of Italy for a longer-stay visa. Also, ensure that you apply for your passport through the US Government.
- Research: Familiarize yourself with the location to which you are moving. Do research online or reach out to friends and family members. As you do so, find out about the local cultures and practices, rules and regulations, cities, regions and other vital information.
- Budget: You will need sufficient resources to execute your move. Because it may take time either to get a job or to set-up a business, you should cut down costs to ensure that you have money to cover your expenses. A written-down budget will help you manage your finances.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need an international moving company when moving abroad
There is no doubt that moving overseas is a complex, mentally and physically exhausting activity. It is also time-consuming. You may take months just to prepare and yet end up not even making the move.
However, if you decide to hire professional movers, they will make the whole relocation process stress-free. This is because they are well trained and have the right equipment for the job. Having extensive experience in moving, they will also handle your belongings with care and deliver them safely in a fast and efficient way.
How to find the best international moving company
At first, when looking for Italy International Moving Services, you will have many options. You should however, only settle for the best. To enable you make your choice, kindly take note of the following:
- Ensure that the company you choose is licensed.
- Make certain the company that you choose has insurance that covers damage on goods during transportation.
- Compare different companies’ estimates and select the one that gives you the package you want at the most affordable rate.
- You will get superior service if you choose a company that has achieved the highest service standards and has received accreditations for their work.
Our international moving services
Our Italy International Moving Services offers the following:
- Packing/unpacking: Leave the loading and offloading of your belongings to us.
- Corporate moves: We handle moving offices and businesses.
- Apartment moves: We will help you switch between rental apartments.
- Visa and immigration services: We will help you apply for Italy visa and immigration services.
- Planning and preparation: We provide useful information about international moving such as how to package your belongings ready for the day of moving.
- Housing and family services: We will assist you to find suitable housing and also help you locate family-friendly service providers such as schools and hospitals.
- Auto transport services: As an international shipping company, transporting your vehicle is something we will handle with ease.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
Our experience speaks for itself. We have been in operation for more than 30 years and have helped thousands of clients to successfully move and settle overseas. Whether you are looking to retire abroad or want to change locations, we have you covered. Indeed, our customers trust us due to our vast knowledge and information regarding international moving. Rest assured that if you have any questions, we have the answers you need.
Make the switch!
Planning to move to Italy? We are the perfect international moving company to work with. Talk to us by calling our experts on our toll-free number 888-509-3213. Also, kindly take the time to fill-out the form at the top of this page to receive free estimates of our international moving services.
Popular moving destinations in Italy
Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Italy” page.
Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Italy” page.