- Germany International Moving Services
- How Much Does It Cost To Move To Germany?
- Packing And Unpacking
- International Shipping
- Moving To Germany Cost & Time Examples
- Will German Customs Require You To Pay Import Duty?
- What Paperwork Will German Customs Request?
- Will German Customs Charge Duty On Your Vehicle?
- What Paperwork Will Customs Request For Your Vehicle?
- Tips On How To Make Your International Move Easier
- Why You Need A Professional Moving Company
- How To Find The Best International Moving Company
- Our International Moving Services
- Why A-1 Auto Transport?
- Make The Switch!
- Popular Moving Destinations In Germany
- Other Services
Germany International Moving Services
Moving abroad requires a lot of planning and taking care of diverse logistical challenges. It is also a requirement to be aware of all the rules and regulations that govern the country you are looking to relocate to. Getting everything in order can be time-consuming and challenging for an individual to tackle alone and many people opt for professional help.
How Much Does It Cost to Move to Germany?
The cost of moving internationally to Germany can range anywhere from $2,000-$12,000 depending on a variety of factors such as the size of move, total distance, route, transportation method, and current market trends.
Several factors impact the shipping cost of household items to Germany, including how large the house is that needs to be emptied for export. Shipping a two-bedroom home to Germany can cost between $4100 and $7200.
There are other factors to consider besides the size of the house. Exporting overseas, hiring an immigration lawyer, and packing and unpacking are all important variables to consider.
Packing and Unpacking
Packing and unpacking can be charged by some moving companies, but not all. When you are moving to a foreign country, you may feel compelled to do so. Shipping abroad requires clearance. In addition to vouching for the imported merchandise, the moving company is required to check that no unlawful items are delivered.
Because of this, many movers pack and unpack their own belongings. A fine for transporting illegal goods would hurt their business. Additional fees might be associated with this service. You will still have to purchase packing supplies if you choose to package your own products to save money.
There may be considerable confusion and trouble when it comes to the documentation necessary for relocation overseas. Consequently, many individuals seek legal counsel. These types of papers are handled by attorneys. The procedure will go much faster and smoother with them since they have a lot of experience. However, their services aren't free. In actuality, depending on where you live and whether you want to hire an hourly lawyer or a case-by-case lawyer, a good lawyer can be quite expensive.
It is very important to plan ahead when moving across international borders. This process does not end with the loading of the items into the truck. A successful international relocation procedure is ensured by working with an experienced international moving company. International shipping will be the most expensive expense. Shipping can cost anywhere between $1,000 and $10,000.
Moving to Germany Cost & Time Examples
|Houston to Berlin||$4,100- $5,600||$7,700- $10,400||3-5 weeks|
|Atlanta to Hamburg||$4,200- $5,900||$7,800- $10,700||3-5 weeks|
|LA to Hamburg||$4,500- $6,000||$8,300- $11,300||5-7 weeks|
|Jacksonville to Berlin||$4,500- $6,000||$8,200- $11,000||3-5 weeks|
|Charlotte to Berlin||$4,600- $6,300||$8,500- $11,400||3-5 weeks|
|Chicago to Hamburg||$4,700- $6,500||$8,700- $11,800||3-5 weeks|
|San Jose to Berlin||$4,900- $6,700||$9,100- $12,300||5-7 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Munich||$5,000- $6,800||$9,400- $12,600||5-7 weeks|
|Columbus to Berlin||$5,000- $6,800||$9,200- $12,400||3-5 weeks|
|Phoenix to Munich||$5,300- $7,200||$9,800- $13,100||5-7 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Will German customs require you to pay import duty?
You can receive exemption from the import duties which usually apply to shipments crossing Germany’s border. To be eligible, you’ll need to have purchased your goods a minimum of six months ago. You also must have been living outside of Germany for at least the last year (1).
What paperwork will German customs request?
Some standard documentation requirements that you’ll recognize, are your passport and visa. The Original Bill of Lading or Air Waybill for your shipment must also be submitted. A full packing list (written in either English or German) and customs Registration Form 0350 are also needed. You may have to provide a Letter of Employment and a separate registration called the Anmeldebestaetigung. Finally, you must give customs either a signed letter or a customs declaration regarding your shipment (2).
Will German customs charge duty on your vehicle?
According to one knowledgeable source, you can bring your vehicle into the country without paying duty. To do so, you must have owned and personally used the vehicle for a minimum of the last six months. You’re also required to have resided outside of Germany for the last 12 months. If you do receive exemption, then you must not sell your vehicle during your first year in the country (3).
Other fees may apply even if you are exempt from import duties - such as the German Road Tax (4). This is a complicated topic and the rules regarding how it is assessed can be a bit murky. It’s recommended that you work with an experienced vehicle shipping company like A1 Auto Transport, to help you clear customs without any issues.
What paperwork will customs request for your vehicle?
Before customs will give your vehicle the green light to enter Germany, you must file the appropriate documentation. This includes the vehicle title and registration, which were issued in the origin country. An insurance card from your origin country is also required, along with documents showing your ownership. Other documents pertaining to the vehicle may also be needed, and you must provide the Original Bill of Lading (5).
More regulations and filing requirements apply to your shipments, so be sure to discuss these with German customs before moving.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Start early: Most international shipping companies advise their clients to begin preparations about 90 days to the day of moving. Doing this will give you enough time to attend to all pending matters and help you avoid the last-minute dash. Once you start packing, sift through your household items to get rid of what you do not need; organize your items according to size and group them accordingly. This will help to save space which translates to lower shipping costs.
- Documents: Research the type of documents you need to have in place. As a US citizen going to Germany, you do not need a visa for the first 90 days. However, you will need a valid US passport. Nonetheless, if you plan to stay for more that this allocated time, make sure you have made arrangements for a longer-stay visa through the German Embassy. If you intend to work while there, apply for a work permit.
- Reach out to people: Try to get information about the place where you are going. Talk to friends and family members who either live there or have been there before. You could also, go online and engage with members of various online communities, social networks, and forums directly related to the place where you are relocating.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-241-3110 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need a professional moving company
As you have found out, international moving is tedious, time-consuming and involves a lot of processes. In fact, you may take months just to prepare and still not be ready when time comes for you to move.
If you hire professional movers, your transition will be hassle-free. This is because they have the right tools and personnel for the job. They will help you move in a fast and efficient way and will handle your belongings with care.
How to find the best international moving company
At first, you will have many options when looking for Germany International Moving Services. These could be from recommendations from friends and family members, or from your own online research. To finally settle on the best mover, you need to take note of the following:
- Choose a company that is licensed and whose insurance cover caters for damage on goods during transportation.
- Settle for a company associated with the highest service standards attained through accreditations.
- Compare different estimates and settle for a mover that can provide quality service at the most affordable rate.
- Read customer reviews to see the comments and experiences of others. This will help you to make a better choice.
Our international moving services
Our Germany International Moving Services offers the following:
- Packing/unpacking: We will pack all your items at source and then have them unpacked and sorted at your destination.
- Corporate moves: We handle all moving logistics for office and businesses.
- Apartment moves: We will handle your switch between apartments.
- Planning and preparation: We give you all the useful information you will need before moving.
- Housing assistance: We will assist you to find a suitable house.
- Family services: We will also help you to locate service providers such as health centers to help your family feel right at home.
- Visa and immigration services: We will offer you a helping hand as you navigate through the visa and immigration services.
- Auto transport: We are an international shipping company with the requisite equipment to take care of your vehicle relocation.
- Germany container shipping
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
Having been in operation for more than 30 years, we have the right expertise. We are also very knowledgeable on matters pertaining to international relocation. Whether you want to retire overseas or to look for a change of environment, we will be there for you. Rest assured that we will adequately address whatever concerns you may have.
Make the switch!
Have you decided to move to Germany? Kindly get in-touch with us by calling our experts on our toll-free line 888-241-3110. Please also remember that you can get free estimates by filling out the form at the top of this page.
Popular Moving Destinations in Germany
(1) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Germany” page.
(3) Found on Moverscom “Customs Regulations - Germany” page.
(4) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Germany” page.